There's no place like home.

It was the middle of January, and this week JJ had a surfing competition. JJ joined the Outer banks surf team recently. It was a group of about 15 teenagers in the county. To even try out you had to be really good. I was really proud of JJ for making the team and trying new things.

The competition was in Charleston, South Carolina. JJ and I were taking a road trip. It was on a long weekend, so we had school off. I was pretty sad that Pope could not come, but I was excited to get alone time with JJ. I knew this weekend was going to be fun. 

JJ pulled up to my house in the van around 8 A.M. His surf board was hooked on top. I got in and we started the journey. Charleston was about a nine hour drive from the Outer banks. JJ drove most of the way, but I pitched in a few hours. We arrived in Charleston around 6 P.M. A little later than expected, then again we did stop for lots of food. We found our hotel, along with JJ's teammates. We all went out for dinner, then JJ and I decided to go back to the hotel and rest. Tomorrow would be a big day.

I sat on the bed flicking through the channels on the TV.

I turned to JJ. "So, how you feeling about tomorrow?" 

"A little nervous, but I think I'll do well."

"Yeah, I mean you're in the first heat for your age group." I recalled.

"It's crazy, I don't really know why my coach put me in first." JJ questioned.

"Because you're the best." I stated. 

JJ smiled and sat next to me. "Well what can I say." He laughed laying a kiss on me. 

The next morning we woke up early. 16 to 18 year olds was the youngest division, making JJ's contest one of the firsts. Since it was January and still a bit chilly JJ wore a full wetsuit. When we got to the beach JJ kissed me goodbye and went to register. I sat on a beach towel on the sand.

The waves were really tall, making it a tough surf. Still JJ did great. He did not miss an opportunity to stun the judges. Then again he was up against 6 other boys, and they all looked really good. After, JJ paddled back in to shore. He ran up to me and gave me a big sopping wet hug. I didn't even care that it was cold. I was just glad to see him happy.

"How did I do?" He asked excitedly.

"Oh, JJ you did great." I cheered. We sat anticipating the scores. 10 minutes they announced that JJ got 3rd out of 6. Only the first two get to move on. 

"I'm sorry JJ, 3rd's not bad though." I reassured. 

He smirked. "It's okay, those other guys are way better than me, and this is my first competition." 

JJ collected his board, said goodbye to his teammates and coach. We got back into the van and made our way back home. I drove most of the way letting JJ nap in the back. Surfing is a lot of work, and competitions are stressful. 

JJ dropped me off at home around 8 at night. Then he went back to Pope's.

When went inside my parents were in the kitchen. 

"Hey, Kie. I saved dinner for you." My dad offered. I sat at the table and ate some stir fry.

"How was the tournament?" He asked.

"It was pretty good, JJ got third place." I explained.

"That's good. I think that boy has some great potential. Being in heat one on his first competition is some talent."

I smiled thinking of him. I finished my dinner and started on some homework. I put my headphones in listening to music. An hour passed.

"Kie." I heard my dad yell through the house. 

I took out my earbuds. "Yeah." I replied.

"Can you get the door?" He responded. 

The doorbell rang again. It's Luisa, she's probably here to ask me about the tournament. 

I walked over to the front door. As I opened it revealed two teenagers. They were hard to see at first since it was dark outside. The boy had long brown hair, while the girl blond. My heart sank, and in that second my life was changed. John B and Sarah smiled at me.