three

you can see the pain in my laugh

Topper's POV

I walked up the stairs that lead to Sienna's front porch and front door. I let out a shaky breath and cracked my fingers as I worked up the courage to knock. I knocked loudly three times and then took a step back.

I heard shuffling and footsteps inside but nobody had opened the door yet. Just as I was about to knock again, the door opened and Sienna was standing in the doorway. Her brown hair was pulled up into a messy bun and she was wiping makeup from under her eyes.

My eyes traveled down to her chest where a sports bra barely covered her breasts. She pulled her cardigan tightly around her and cocked her head.

I rubbed the back of my neck and stared at my shoes, "Uh, hey, Sienna."

She held the cardigan together up by her neck, "What do you want, Rafe's friend?"

This is why we've never had a conversation.

I rolled my eyes and held back a sarcastic smile, "Can I please come in?"

Sienna stepped to the side and gestured towards the living room. I smiled and gave her a small nod as I walked past her. I glanced at the pictures on the walls as I made my way. There were so many of her family and the Cameron's and of her and Rafe. There were some of her as a baby, playing sports, and every school picture she ever took. The one that stood out to me the most was a small framed picture on the mantle. It was of Sienna and Rafe when they were about 6 years old. They were dressed up like a king and queen and they were kissing in her back yard under a tree in a pretend wedding.

She's always been in love with him. It's been written by their families since they were little that they would get married. It's what their parents had always wanted.

I sat on the couch and waited for Sienna to sit as well. She appeared from the kitchen with two bottles of water and handed me one before sitting down across from me with her legs crossed under her.

Sienna grabbed a blanket and draped it over her lap, "So what do you need?"

I tried to keep my foot from tapping but my nerves were getting the best of me, "I have a proposition for you."

Sienna let out a loud and aggressive laugh, "HA! what could you possibly offer me?"

I picked at my fingers and stared down at my feet, "I could help you get Rafe."

Sienna's eyes widened, "Wha-, R-Rafe?"

"Sarah is doing the same thing to me that Rafe does to you. I see all you do and how he takes advantage of you," my voice was barely a whisper.

"What do you know about Rafe and I?" Sienna scoffed.

I let out an exasperated sigh, "I think if we dated we would make them jealous and then we both get what we want."

Sienna laughed, "Wait, wait, wait, us? Date? Are you joking."

I dropped my shoulders and hung my head, "not actually date, fake date, just to get their attention."

Sienna shook her head, "Nope, absolutely not. I could have Rafe if I wanted to."

I gave her a look, "You don't seriously believe that, do you?"

Sienna stood to her feet, "I knew I didn't like you for a reason, get the fuck out."

Sienna stomped up to her room and ignored me as I called after her. I didn't expect this to go this badly. I thought we could work together, pretend to be together at parties just to make them jealous. Maybe then they'd see how much we're worth.

She's too damn stubborn to confess her feelings.

Sienna's POV

I made my way to a table in the back of the country club. Rafe called earlier and asked me out to dinner. He said he had something important to tell me.

I adjusted the straps of my light blue, lace sundress and smoothed back my hair. I couldn't help but hope that he was about to confess his feelings for me and finally pick me. This has to be a date.

I smiled as I spotted Rafe. He was wearing a pale pink dress shirt with a navy jacket and his hair was perfectly slicked back. I bit my lip as I watched him bring a glass of water to his lips and take a sip.

Every thing he did was so sexy.

I took in his chiseled cheekbones and jaw, the way his eyelashes kissed his cheekbones when he blinked and his jaw tensed when he was angry or turned on. His full lips parted to reveal perfect straight, white teeth as he smiled.

I blushed, he was smiling at me. I started to make my way to his table when the small blonde girl from the party cut in front of me and ran to Rafe's side. He pulled her onto his lap and gave her a long, deep kiss.

I stopped in my tracks and strained to hear what he told her, "Nina should be here in a second. I'm so excited for you to meet, I think you'll be best friends."

I felt my heart drop and bile rise in my throat.

He didn't want me.

I always told myself he wasn't ready to be tied down. He would find his way back to me when he was ready to be in love.

We were supposed to be in love.

I turned on my heel and wiped away my tears as I made my way to my car. I slid into the driver seat and peeled out of the parking lot.

The tears kept flowing heavy and hot and I knew that I looked a mess. How could Rafe do this to me? We had always talked about how when we were old enough we would get married.

It was always the plan.

I'd loved him for years, through the awkward years, through the drug use and the partying, through his bullying and evilness. I stood by his side and defended his behavior. I pulled him out of his darkest places and stood him on his feet. I never let him fail because he was supposed to be my person.

He clearly didn't see what he was missing.

I deserved more than this.

I needed to make him see what it was like to not have me as an option. I needed him to see that other guys saw my value.

I banged on the steering wheel and took a sharp turn.

I knocked on the front door and impatiently tapped my foot. I heard heavy steps as he made his way to the door.

The door swung open and Topper filled the doorway with a puzzled look on his face.

I wiped my tears and smiled as the heat of anger filled my chest, "Okay, let's do it."