2

Kie's POV:

I woke up the next morning to the doorbell ringing. I looked like shit. My face was puffy and my eyes were red and swollen. I ran downstairs hoping it was JJ. I opened the door and John B, Sarah, Pope, and Cleo were all standing there. I started crying when I saw them.

John B hugged me first and said, "I'm going to fucking kill him for this"

They all hugged me and I couldn't stop crying. I showed them the note and they all were talking about where JJ might have gone. He literally took a bag of clothes, money, and his passport. He left all his electronics so we could track him.

I went and sat on the couch wrapped in a blanket while they all talked. After about twenty minutes of them brainstorming where he could be and what to do I spoke up, "He left me and he doesn't want to be found. We're never going to know where he went"

"Not true, we'll find him" John B said

"How? He could be anywhere and it's not a missing person's case because he left willingly. He fucking left me here the day before our eight-year anniversary"

I was crying and Sarah was the one who came and sat next to me on the couch. I cried and she said, "I'm so sorry"

The four of them stayed with me all day. I literally just laid on the couch and in bed and cried. They all took turns coming to talk to me individually. They stayed through the weekend and then Monday morning came and Pope, Cleo, and Sarah all had to leave to get back to their lives. However, John B stayed with me even though I told him that he didn't have to.

"JJ has been my brother since third grade. I know you love him in a way that no one else ever could, but him leaving hurts me too. So please let me stay for a few days"

I hugged him and I stayed with my head resting on his chest. He held me in that position and a few tears fell. As I whispered, "How could he just leave me the day before our eight-year anniversary?"

"I don't know, JJ has done a lot of stupid shit in his life but this... I have no fucking clue" John B replied as he had no idea what to say

We fell asleep on the couch together and the next day, he took me surfing. We went into JJ's surf shop and one of the workers said JJ just sent everyone a text yesterday and quit. He said that I'd be in to figure things out. I promoted JJ's favorite employee to the manager and said we'd talk later.

We went into the back room at the surf shop which is where the boards were. They used them for lessons and John B grabbed one and I went into the small office and saw my board leaned up against the wall next to JJ's. I shut my eyes to hold back my tears. I grabbed my board and left the office.

John B and I went out into the ocean and we were just sitting on our boards waiting for some good waves.

"He left his board" I said

"So he must have literally gotten on a plane and went somewhere. He left everything"

We caught some amazing waves and then we went out to eat and went back to my house. John B spent two more days with me and then he went home and I went back to work. I tried to get used to this being my new normal. I missed JJ every single day and I wondered where he was and what he was doing.

I went through his whole phone and there was nothing. I checked his bank account and nothing. Part of me wanted to believe he was close by but part of me knew he was on the other side of the world. This weekend, I was getting on a plane and going back to OBX to tell my parents. I was so nervous because they would probably just rub it in my face and tell me they told me so.

I landed and John B was there to pick me up. I asked him to come with me for moral support and he was happy to. We walked into my parent's house and they both hugged me. 

"Where is JJ?" My mom asked looking to see if he was coming

"I don't know... I came home from work the day before our eight year anniversary and he was gone. He left me a note saying it was for the best" I said crying

My parents hugged me immediately and I cried. 

"I told you that he was going to break your heart, I just prayed that I was wrong" My mom said disappointed

"I'm going to find him and kill him for hurting you my baby girl"

My parents thanked John B and he left and I told my parents more about what happened. They couldn't believe it and spent the night comforting me. I never expected them to be this supportive. It got late and I went to my bedroom and saw the picture on my nightstand. It was a picture of me and JJ our senior year at Midsummers. I laid it face down so I couldn't see it and I fell asleep.

The next morning, I was up early and I drove to JJ's old house. I saw a for sale sign in the yard. After all these years, now the house might get its happy family. I went to the chateau where John B and Sarah were living. John B was at work and Sarah was home with the baby, my beautiful goddaughter.

I hung out with the two of them and I held the baby all day. She was five months old and my little bestie. Sarah said, "It makes me happy to see you smiling again"

"That's because she is just too cute" I said smiling at the little girl

"Yeah, I think she needs a cousin" Sarah said giving me the look as she moved her eyebrows up and down

I looked at her said, "Really?"

"Shit" She said realizing what she was implying and she felt awful

"Sarah, it's okay. It's not your fault he left me. I just wish we had a baby before he did because then he wouldn't have left me alone." I said blinking away the tears

"There are other ways to have a baby, Kie if that's what you really want"

"I only want his babies. I know he told me to move on, but I don't think I'm capable of loving anyone but him" I said and Sarah hugged me

I spent the next day with my parents and then I went back to California. I felt so alone. The love of my life was gone. He left me. I wished he was dead because then I wouldn't have to sit here and torture myself wondering where the hell I went wrong, why I wasn't good enough, and how I will ever get over this.