18

Kie's POV:

Time was passing by fast and Liam was now four months old. Ella was a year and five months old. JJ and I were taking the kids to California.

He was opening up the fifth location in California and doing some PR events at the original surf shop. We were flying with both of the kids and it was quite the adventure.

We had a whole row with Ella between us. Liam slept in my arms the entire flight. I looked at JJ and smiled as we've come such a long way.

I wondered if he was going to propose soon. I also wondered why he hasn't proposed already. We are the only ones in our friend group who weren't married. We had two babies together but no ring for me.

It was starting to give me anxiety wondering why he hasn't proposed yet. I don't think he even has a ring. I think a part of me would always be worried that he would leave me again. But this time he wouldn't just be leaving me. He would be leaving his children, Ella and Liam too.

JJ grabbed my hand and he said, "I love you"

"I love you, too" I said snapping out of my thoughts

The four days went by fast and there was no proposal. There was barely any alone time. We were exhausted by the time we finally got back home. The next weekend, I was having my mom come stay with the babies overnight as I was taking JJ on an overnight date.

We had our bags backed and we said goodbye to the babies. I drove to a fancy spa about an hour away. We arrived and got checked into our hotel room and then we went for our couples massage and facials. We went back to our hotel room and took the most amazing nap.

We woke up and we got ready for dinner. It was a seafood meal on the beach at sunset. We were both dressed up. We had an incredible meal on the beach, and a sunset walk by the water, and then we went back to our room and had adult fun.

We got up early the next day and caught a few waves. We haven't surfed together since before Ella was born. I missed our time together. We sat on our board in the water talking and I asked, "Are you happy?"

"Of course, I have more than I could ever ask for. I have two perfect kids, a super successful job, and a relationship with my mom and sister, and it's all because of you. You've given me the perfect life. You are my everything and I love you so much"

"I love you, too and you're the one who gave me the perfect life" I said kissing him

JJ and I went home and we were so excited to see our kids. We missed them so much but it was nice to have a night alone. The next year went by and our kids were growing up so fast. Sophia was two years old and Liam just turned one. Pope and Cleo had their first baby girl. John B and Sarah were expecting a boy.

JJ and I were happy with our two kids and there was still no engagement. We agreed we wouldn't have any more kids for at least another year or two.

JJ was taking a trip to California for work and he was going to be gone a whole week. I was pretty nervous because we'd never been apart for that long since he left me. I know it's stupid but I hate when he leaves me.

He said goodbye to the kids and to me. His mom was here visiting while he was away and I was excited about that because I adored his mom. I drove JJ to the airport and I tried not to cry the whole way there. We said goodbye and I broke drown crying, "Kie, I promise I'll facetime you and the kids every day. I love you and you know I'm coming home because I can't live without you. You are my home, so wherever you are is where I need to be. I love you and I'll text you before we take off and I'll call you when I get to the hotel"

I got back home and Jessica knew how tough it was on me when JJ left. After we got the kids to bed, we sat down in the living room and talked. She told me more about JJ staying with her and Emma for two years. I opened up to her about how hard it still is when he leaves. We talked for hours and it felt good to have someone to talk to about all this.

JJ kept his promise and facetimed every night before bed. The kids missed him so much and so did I.

Tonight was the PR night where he had interviews and all that. He texted me and told me he wished I was here right now. Then three hours later, I saw a Snapchat story from one of the guys who works at the surf shop. JJ was taking shots with him and a few other guys. JJ looked wasted. In the next story, there was a girl dancing with him. It wasn't just casual dancing. She was grinding on him and he didn't seem to stop her. This was two hours ago. I screen-recorded it and then I called JJ.

"Hi" He said

"Hey, how was your night?" I asked

"It was good, pretty lowkey. There was an after-party but I didn't stay long" He said lying right to me

"Really? Because I saw you taking shots with Devin, Eric, and Josh. I also saw you and that blonde dancing. Are you cheating on me?"

"What? NO! Nothing happened. I'll talk to you when I get home tomorrow. I'm tired and I'm going to bed" JJ said hanging up

I cried myself to sleep watching the video over and over again. The next day, I picked JJ up from the airport and I didn't talk to him the whole way home. When we got home the kids were so excited to see their dad. JJ hung out with the kids and his mom while I made dinner.

After the kids were in bed, JJ came into our room and sat on the bed. He stayed quiet and said, "I didn't want to tell you over the phone. I went to the after-party and took a few shots with the guys. I drank a little too much and I know that is no excuse. The blonde girl, her name was Rachel and she works at one of the surf shops. She's a college student and we hung out and talked. It was nothing serious just casual conversation and Josh was with us the whole time. She brought me out to the dance floor and she started dancing with me. I was too drunk to realize what was going on at first. What you saw on the video was all that happened and I backed away and told her I had a girlfriend. She kissed me after that and I pulled away as soon as her lips touched mine. I left the party and went back to the hotel room and that's when you called me"

I was crying because I was so pissed. I didn't say anything to JJ and he said, "Please say something, Kie"

"Sleep on the couch" Was what came out of my mouth

JJ grabbed his pillow and left the room and went to go sleep on the couch. Again, I cried myself to sleep. The next day, JJ and I didn't speak and Jessica was here for a few more days.

The kids were in bed and JJ and I were in a heated argument about the trip.

"How can I trust you? You fucking left me for two years and now you leave again and you hook up with college girls" I screamed

"I didn't hook up with her. I would never cheat on you. I told you what happened because I didn't want you to hear it from someone else. It's the truth"

"Well there are two sides to every story" I said pissed at him

We got into another argument that ended with JJ saying, "Kie, we have built this incredible life together. We have a thriving business, best friends that are like family to us, two perfect kids, and you're the best girlfriend in the whole world. Do you really think I would throw that all away to be with some college girl for a night?"

"I don't know, maybe. She's young, hot, and hasn't birthed two babies"

"I don't want anyone else but you. I fall more and more in love with you every second and I don't know how that's possible because I already love you so much"

"But it's not like we're committed to each other"

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean? We live together and have two kids. I think we're pretty fucking committed"

"But I'm just your girlfriend. I'm easy to leave. You could just pack up your shit one day and leave and there is nothing stopping you" I yelled and JJ was super confused

"Damn it, why haven't you proposed to me? Do you not love me? Are you planning on leaving me? What the fuck is going on? There isn't even a ring. Just get the hell out. Please leave me alone" I said in tears

"I'll be in my office at the surf shop," He said shoving his shit in a bag

He walked back into the bedroom and said, "Liam's room, closet, far right side, bottom floorboard on the left"

JJ left the house and I snuck into Liam's room and opened the closet. Sure enough, that floorboard was loose. I pulled it up and inside was a small black velvet box. My stomach sank and I grabbed the box and ran outside after JJ.