chapter 1

* certain parts of this story are inspired by a movie called look both ways *

Kie's POV:

I was at a party with all the pogues. It was one of those huge parties at the Boneyard after high school graduation. We were all about to go our separate ways in three months. Some were going to college, others got jobs, then there were those going to the military.

I was going to college. I had plans with Sarah to move to California for college. She didn't want to leave John B and do long distance so he was coming with. He was going to school for law enforcement. He wanted to eventually become a sheriff. Pope got into Harvard and was planning on becoming a doctor someday.

Then there was JJ. He didn't know what he was going to do tomorrow. Apparently, he was going on a surf trip. No idea how he was going to afford it, but knowing JJ he would figure it out.

Things have always been platonic between me and JJ. We got super close the last two years. He was my best friend, my ride or die, my person.

There were so many people at this party and JJ came up to me and he said, "Follow me"

I followed him out of the crowd and then he brought me to this beach hut that was down the beach away from all the noise. We stood there watching the water crash into the shore. JJ was the one to break the silence when he told me, "Turns out, since my dad left me and I am officially an adult, I'm selling the house, his truck, all his shit to pay for my surf trip"

He had the biggest smile on his face and I was happy for him. I smiled and I hugged him. I knew how excited he was to go on this trip and now he could finally go. I congratulated him and told him how excited I was for him. He was excited for me and we got so busy talking how amazing our futures were going to be.

Out of nowhere, we just kissed. This has never happened since we've been friends. We both pulled away and looked at each other.

"Sorry, ehh I was just caught up in the moment" JJ apologized

"Yeah, me too" I said

"You know we could celebrate us graduating high school, not getting killed, and everything else" He said lightly stroking my face with his thumb

We started making out and he lifted my shirt off and I took his off. I broke the kiss and stopped him and said, "Nothing changes after tonight"

"Nothing changes, best friends no matter what... Platonically, of course" JJ said smirking as I taught him that word a few weeks ago

Things got heated and I felt so safe and comfortable with JJ. I thought it might be weird or awkward having sex with my best friend, but it wasn't at all. After, we both got dressed and laid on the floor watching the stars while passing a joint back and forth.

We got got super high and woke up the next morning to the bright sun. We went to the chateau and John B said, "Nice of you two to finally show up"

"Where were you guys last night?" Pope asked

"Gettin high" JJ replied like it was nothing which I was glad because I sucked at keeping secrets

"You guys know how bad smoking is. When you inhale the smoke..." Pope started and JJ gave him the middle finger and he stopped talking

We all had our whole summer planned out down to the day everyone left for school. I failed at keeping it a secret and one night I told Sarah about what happened with JJ. She totally freaked and wanted all the details. She promised to keep it a secret. It was nice to have someone to talk to about it. Since then, things have been totally normal between me and JJ. I was glad it didn't change anything between us.

The first three weeks flew by and today I was hanging out with Sarah. We went to the mainland and went shopping. We also went out to lunch. That night we were hanging out at the chateau and I got super nauseous and I went inside and went to the bathroom and threw up.

Sarah came and knocked on the door and she asked, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, it's probably just food poisoning from lunch today. I'm just going to chill here until I stop feeling so nauseous"

Sarah left and I laid back on the floor and about ten minutes later she came back. She handed me a bag and I opened it and inside was ginger ale, crackers, mint gum, and two pregnancy tests.

"To help you feel better and to rule out pregnancy" She said

I looked at her not even thinking pregnancy was a possibility. I looked at her and my mind started racing.

"Just take the test and you'll know either way. You'll feel better you know"

I opened the boxes and she stayed in the bathroom with me while I took them. There was a knock on the door and Pope asked, "Is everything okay in there?"

"Yeah, we'll be out soon!" Sarah replied back

We were just waiting for the timer to go off now. A million thoughts were running through my head. I couldn't possibly be pregnant right now. I was only eighteen years old. I had to go to college. Holy shit, the baby would be JJ's. His surf trip. College. Money. Jobs. Parents.

My thoughts were interrupted by the timer on Sarah's phone going off. She looked at me and I grabbed the two tests off the counter and looked at them. One read 'pregnant' and the other just read '+'. I was pregnant with JJ's baby.

"So" Sarah said

"I'm pregnant"

She hugged me and told me that everything would be okay. She was so comforting. She was everything I needed in that moment. I was trying not to cry. I was still in shock.

"So when are you going to tell JJ?"

"I don't know...."

"You should tell him tonight. You don't want him to find out any other way."

Sarah hid the pregnancy test boxes and I put the sticks in my pocket and we left the bathroom and went back to the fire. I went over to JJ and whispered, "Can we go talk?"

JJ got up and we walked to the beach and he asked, "What's up?"

I didn't know how to tell him. There was no easy way to do this. So I just said it.

"I'm pregnant" I spoke as I handed him the two positive tests

a.n.

thoughts so far? hope this is an okay idea for a story :)