6. eighteen.

➻❥

➻❥

THE ELLIOT HOME IS full of the Pogues running around, preparing for the start of Ember's birthday in 5 hours.

   It's 7pm and even though the birthday girl had told them not to come tonight, she knew they wouldn't listen. So, when her parents called her down to the dining room and she saw the Pogues there with a cake, Ember wasn't that surprised. And even though she told Sarah not to come—Ember is still surprised she's not here. The others have pestered her about it but Ember repeatedly lies, saying she has no idea why Sarah isn't here.

    In all honesty, this is her favorite part of her birthday. Every Pogue birthday they come over the night before and celebrate into the actual day and have a sleepover. She'd be lying if she said it doesn't feel odd without Sarah Cameron.

   The sun is just barely setting on the teens as they bounce around Ember's room. "What do you think should be your first legal thing? Fuck someone's parent?" JJ pokes at Ember. Moxie rolls over on the bed, kicking JJ really hard in the shin. "Mox, what the fuck?" JJ curses, rubbing at his shin. John B looks up from his phone, "You deserved it."

  "Oh, of course you defend her," JJ teases. Everyone shoots their eyes towards him. The two Pogues have been somehow closer than ever this past week. Obviously, JJ seems to know something the rest don't. John B is shooting daggers into JJ while Moxie sits confused.

   Kie's eyes dart between the two, "Okay. Awkward. Anyway, I think it's time I give Ember one of her gifts."

  "Huh? It's not the loser's birthday yet," Gray laughs. Pope smacks his bicep, "You can't be mean on someone's birthday."

   "You and JJ pushed me off my board last year on mine," Gray puts a hand to his chest. Everyone's soft spot is Ember, God forbid anyone mess with Ember.

   The birthday girl scoots from her spot on the bed, "We always do gifts at 12 though. Why the change?" Moxie and Kie share a devious look. Kie rocks with her hands behind her back, her smirk growing. Moxie swings her legs over and onto the floor, popping up to stand next to Kie, "It'll be useful for tonight."

   Ember is really confused. They have alcohol and weed. Everything they would need is already here, whether it be for tonight or the party Ember is still dreading tomorrow. "Do—Do any of you guys know what it is?" Ember asks. "You look scared," John B giggles. Ember's hands reach for face, she doesn't even know what facial expression she has on.

Kie and Moxie leave the room without another word and come back a moment later hiding something behind their backs.

   "Am I getting an extra gift because my uncle tried to kill me?" Ember only half jokes. She really doesn't want pity gifts. She barely wants gifts at this point. "This was planned before he tried to kill you, okay?" Moxie rolls her eyes. JJ sits up next to Ember, excitedly rubbing his hands together. He obviously knows what's happening.