22. it's astronomy

➻❥

➻❥

THE MAYBANK'S COME FROM a long lineage of alcoholics and shitty parents that try not to turn their kids into them but end up making it worse for them.

   Eevee Maybank has never been her parent's favorite. Not because of her sexuality or her transition or whatever. No, they couldn't care less. It's probably the only thing they support.

She thought maybe it's because she's so geeky. Eevee wouldn't blame them for that. How much more of a geek do you have to be to name yourself after a Pokémon?

   She's an only child. Everyone else's kid is their favorite kid. Including JJ. Eevee is more than welcome to have him at her house because she does not want him near Luke Maybank.

     It just seems that everyone picks anyone over Eevee Maybank.

   Maybe it was destiny. She'd never be picked.

    So when JJ showed up at her doorstep, of course she let him in. He said he needed some weed from her parents. And when she saw them doting on the blonde boy, Eevee dipped.

    The dirt bike bums under her as she reaches Figure 8. Tall homes that feel like even the windows are judging her. She finds peace in the sound of the shitty engine that will probably stop working in a matter of a few months. Kooks pass her on the street, some paying her mind while others probably write her off as one of them Maybanks.

     Eevee rounds a corner. She's halfway down the block when a familiar brunette catches her eye. Emberlei is walking down the road, nose in her phone. Hearing the sound of a bike, she picks her head up but her eyes widen when she sees Eevee.

    Ember almost, almost ducks into the bush to avoid the girl. There's truly no reason to. A part of her just knows Sarah will not appreciate this. The bike comes to a stop.

    "Em?" Eevee calls out. Ember caves in, pretending like she didn't see the blonde coming her way. She flashes a smile. "Hey, Eevee," Emberlei waves with one hand, stuffing her other in her pocket. "Where you headed to? Party isn't for another 2 hours. You okay?" Eevee softly asks. Ember appreciates the kindness but the pitiful look the Maybank gives her makes her roll her eyes a bit.

    She's kinda tired of hearing that question though. Emberlei presses her lips together. Does she tell Eevee? The girl already got shot at on the first day they met and Emberlei confronting her shitty family with her will put her in more danger. She grits her teeth. "Uh—" Ember struggles to come up with a lie. Eevee tilts her head, "Is it something you don't want the Pogues to know?"

   The Alastair girl sighs at her seeing right through her. Her sneaker kicks a rock off the curb.

"Possibly," Ember drags the S out. Eevee nods like she understands, "I won't tell them. Also, you shouldn't be out here by yourself. Bike ride?"