18. everybody talks

➻❥

➻❥

EMBER ISN'T AS EXCITED for the Let Go party as she should be. Like John B said, the parties afterwards are probably gonna be more fun. It's the first time Ember is excited for a party in weeks.

   Mostly because it's the first party where her and Sarah are officially a couple. Neither seem to care who knows at this point. Especially as she gawks at Sarah, staring at her doing her makeup.

  All the girls have piled into one room, doing their makeup while their dresses sit on Sarah's bed. Tomorrow, the new couple finally wears the dresses they picked out for each other. Not today, today is just the Let Go party. Some stupid, sentimental party Outer Banks does for their seniors.

    "Eevee, can you do my eyeliner like that?" Moxie asks, pointing to the Maybank's perfect wing. Sarah silently mocks the other blonde girl. Ember scoffs, gently smacking Sarah on the shoulder. "Be nice," Ember whispers, fixing her own eyeliner. Sarah sighs, resting a kiss on Ember's cheek.

  "Hey, my blush!" Ember shoves her away.

   "Ah, fuck!" Kie curses and frustratedly wipes the highlight off her nose, "Am I stupid or do these all look bad on me?"

  "Huh? You look fine, Kie," Sarah assures her. "I just don't do makeup like this. I don't know how you do this everyday, Eevee," Kie smiles at the girl.

   Sarah has a tight grip on her shadow brush. She shouldn't hate Eevee. Logically, she has no reason to be this mean to her. Ember turns to face Moxie and Eevee, "Oh, wow, that looks really good!" She compliments Eevee. Sarah can feel the brush bending. She lets go, forcing a smile across her face.

Her hair is done up all pretty and simple makeup to match. She feels pretty. Sarah looks pretty. So why the hell does she have this nagging feeling like something is wrong?

  Maybe because Eevee is in the room. Lately that's been enough for Sarah to act like a petty, mean girl that the Kook teenage girls are supposed to be.

  "Hey, I'm gonna get my dress on. You done, Sarah?" Ember whispers into her ear. Sarah shutters, that forced smile turning into a smirk as she puts her gaze on Ember. "Is that an invitation?" Sarah whispers back. "Don't be perverted," Ember shrugs, fingers lingering on her shoulder as she walks away. She grabs her dress, catching Sarah's almost warning look as she walks into the hall.

    Without saying a word to the others, Sarah slips out of the room, her dress in hand. They probably won't even realize she's gone, they're all chatting with Eevee about her stupid makeup.

   Ember is slipping on the pale green cami dress when the bathroom door flies open. Her hands scramble to cover her body, yelping at the sound of the door. "Jesus, Sarah!" Ember exclaims. "Wh—don't look so surprised!" Sarah gasps.