11. this lady isn't a clown

➻❥

➻❥

ADMITTEDLY, EMBER HAS BEEN ignoring that meeting she was supposed to join her mother on. She simply just doesn't want to deal with it. The idea of all her father's stuff just being given to her makes her sick. All that responsibility for her dad's stuff? Scares her.

  Also, the idea of just living in her dead dad's house or just even having the property makes her sick.

So, when her mom texts her that they need to reschedule the appointment right as she gets to Moxie's porch, she swipes the notification away.

   She doesn't have to knock, she sees the Twinkie in the driveway and can already hear the chaos inside.

   Ember swings the screen door open with a loud squeak and all the chaos dies down. "Ember!" Kie excitedly shouts, running over to engulf Ember in a hug like they didn't just see each other the night before.

   "We have an idea," Gray says in a sing-song tone. She looks towards Kie with a nervous smile, "It's a Gray plan?" Sometimes those are worse than JJ's. Kie nods, stepping to the side of Ember, "I want to make it known that I don't approve of this idea."

   "The place is abandoned, Kie," John B reminds her. Abandoned? There's a lot of abandoned places on The Cut. "We don't know that. It's just a rumor," Kie sighs.

  "What's a rumor? What's abandoned?" Ember asks.

  "I also don't like this idea. She's an ax murderer, y'all," JJ says from the couch. Ax murderer? Oh—

  Ember puts two and two together. The Crain house. The wife is rumored to have killed her husband, Leon, many moons ago and the head was found by her daughter. At least the second part is what JJ has told them. "You wanna go to the Crain house? If that woman died, wouldn't the whole island know?" Ember asks. "She makes a good point," Pope emerges from the bathroom.

   "I know I do," Ember says rather sadly. She kind of wished she could've showed up and ranted to Moxie about Topper and Rafe but instead, they're going to a house based on a rumor that it's abandoned. The crazy old lady could still be in there for all they know. "Where's Sarah? Her and Rafe used to dare each other to run to the porch as kids. She should know a way in," John B asks, looking outside for the blonde.

   "I—uh, something happened with Ward. He needed her help with something," Ember stutters, smiling nervously. Everyone raises an eyebrow at this but no one says a word about the suspicious behavior. The mention of Rafe makes her chest tighten. She should probably tell someone, not Sarah, anyone else maybe about what the hell Rafe tried to get her to do last night. The only person that it would make sense to though is Moxie and she doubts she'll get a moment alone if they're going to an ax murder's house.