𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐲 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭

"m-mom."

"hi, baby."

mrs. tatum, or mary, stepped off of the porch and over to her daughter. she reached out to touch her face but dove stepped back. mary put her hand down slowly.

"i know ya probably hate me, hon and you have every right to. i-i-i used to hurt you and i was never there for you and i'm the reason your father...your father is dead. but i do love you with my whole heart and i needed to leave for a while. i couldn't have the police on my tail, ya know. but i didn't wanna leave ya. i've always loved you, baby girl. always. can you forgive me?"

dove stood there and stared at her mother. a tear ran down her cheek.

she was crying, but she didn't know how to feel. sad. mad. relieved that her mother was alive.

but what she was truly feeling was overwhelmed.

mary half smiled and opened her arms.

dove walked up to her and threw herself into her arms.

"oh my sweet girl. i'm so happy that you're givin' me a chance." mary said in her country accent.

dove never remembered her having that accent, but now she did.

mary pulled away and put her hands on dove's shoulders.

"here, come on in. i cleaned up a little bit when i got here." she offered.

dove nodded and followed mary inside the house.

the blonde girl looked around and saw that most of the mess was gone and it looked a lot neater. her blue blanket was folded on the couch.

dove went over to the couch and picked it up and smelled it. it still smelled like her father but cleaner.

"oh how you loved that blanket. you were always wrapped up in it and always slept with it. your daddy bought that for you. god, he loved you so much. i wish you and i had what y'all had." mary shook her head.

"it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows with dad, mom. it wasn't as bad as it was with you, but he certainly wasn't a saint." dove replied.

mary sighed through her nose. "i know sweetheart, i know, but there was so much love between y'all. do you think we could ever have that?"

dove shrugged. "i don't know, mother. i don't know."

"i understand." mary muttered. "um, will ya at least have a cigarette with me?"

"i don't smoke cigarettes." dove replied.

"oh come on, just one." mary held up her pointer finger.

dove sighed. "okay."

she sat down on the couch and her mother lit her a cigarette. dove took it and held it between her fingers. mary took out one for herself and began smoking.

dove put the cigarette to her mouth and began smoking with ease.

"are ya sure ya don't smoke? you seem like a pro." mary questioned.

"oh, i smoke weed with my friends sometimes." dove answered.

mary chuckled. "weed, huh? i remember my weed days."

dove just nodded.

i'm sure you do. she thought.

"ooh, are ya still friends with that cutie john b?" mary raised her eyebrows.

dove smiled and blushed. "yeah. yeah i'm still friends with bird."

"oh you're blushin'. ya must like him, huh?" mary smirked.