𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧

"where should i take you?" joey asked.

"i don't know. don't really have anywhere to go. and i really don't have it in me to go to the chateau again." dove replied.

"i can understand why you don't wanna go back to your mom." joey said.

she stared at him blankly.

"what?"

"because i know she wasn't very nice to you when you were younger. i've seen the bruises on you back in elementary. i know she used to hurt you."

dove was silent.

joey was right, but she hated it hearing it from him. it was personal and she wasn't sure how personal she wanted to get with joey.

joey got the hint that she didn't want to talk about it.

"um, we can go to mine." he replied.

her ears perked up.

"would your parents mind?" she asked.

"oh, they're not home. they went on a trip and won't be back for another few days, so we're good." he answered.

she nodded. "okay. we can go to yours then."

"cool."

and so that's what they did.

🕊️

after they got to joey's house, he gave her a t-shirt and sweatpants to sleep in, in which the draw string she drew tight.

"thank you, joey." she said as she got back into his bedroom.

"anytime. you can take my bed and i'll sleep on the couch downstairs." he replied.

"don't you have like four guest rooms?" she raised her eyebrows.

"we have two, but they're not comfortable. and one of them has a bunch of shit in it that i don't feel like moving." he said with a chuckle.

"a bunch of shit? that's kinda gross." she joked.

he laughed. "i know. disgusting right?"

"yeah. anyway, i can sleep in the one that doesn't have a bunch of shit in it." she suggested.

"do you wanna sleep with my dog? he's currently asleep on the bed and i don't think he wants to move." joey responded.

she sighed. "okay. alright. i'll sleep in your bed."

"cool. i'll be on the couch."

"wait. do you mind..."

she exhaled.

"not in a weird way, but would you stay with me? i'm kinda scared to be alone right now and john b's not here and..."

and there they were again.

the tears.

"i'm sorry. i'm such a crybaby. this is embarrassing." she shook her head.

"oh, dove, it's not. it's not. you're hurting right now. i'll stay with you."

"thank you."

he hugged her tightly, then the two got in bed.

"goodnight, joey."

"goodnight, dovie."

and then, they fell asleep.

🕊️

dove blinked her eyes open and felt a pair of arms around her.