017; locked out

Myra came sneaking through the woods early in the morning, careful not to be seen in the incoming daylight. She had no idea what time it was but the island was slowly awaking around her, the first rays of the warm sun dancing over the dry ground. Birds chirped in the distance and the wind whistled gently through the leaves of the tall trees above her. A branch cracked underneath her feet as she was getting closer to her house. She stopped for a moment, glancing around, hoping that no one had heard her. The woods flowed into the Maybank family yard, which felt more like a minefield at times like these. She assumed both her brother and father to be soundly asleep at this time, but she could never be sure. Moving from point A to point B, the woods to the house, was a risky move.

Myra stopped by a tree at the end of the woods, hiding behind it as best as she could. She peaked her head out, glancing across the yard. It was still, glowing in the golden morning hue. There was no sight of anyone anywhere. Her father wasn't stomping around in his muddy old boots and her brother wasn't up mowing the overgrown lawn. Nothing was seen, nothing was heard, so Myra took her chance. With her shoes in her hands she drew in a deep breath, gathering the last of her strength just before she took off running. She sprinted all the way from the trees to the front porch, barely breathing. Her head was still spinning a little from the weed she had been smoking with Rafe earlier, making her running a tad bit unsteady.

Myra caught her breath as she laid her right hand upon the front door, only to find it locked. Fuck, she thought to herself, patting her pockets. The door was locked and she had forgotten her bag with her keys in it back at the island club. "Fuck, fuck, fuck" Myra muttered to herself, glancing around. That one simple word repeated itself in her tired mind as she wandered around the small house, looking for a open window. Nothing. She saw nothing, not even a slight crack at any of the old windows. "Oh come on" she muttered, shaking the bottom of the window to her own bedroom desperately. It was locked, it didn't budge. He tried it again a few more times before she gave up, going back around to the front porch. She sighed as she sat down on the wobbly steps, putting her shoes down next to her. She let her elbows rest on her knees, her chin sinking down onto the palms of her hands. The house was dark and quiet, despite the sun now haven risen. Banging on the front door wasn't a good idea, even if someone was home. Both her brother and her father would harshly question why she was coming home in her kooky work uniform at this time in the morning and she didn't want to deal with that. She was too tired for that, besides she was slowly coming down from her high state, loud screaming would only make her slight headache and nausea increase.

Myra gave up and went to lay down on the small old couch standing at the back of the wobbly front porch, closing her eyes with a sigh. It wasn't her bed, which she longed for so so much, but it was something. The couch didn't smell too good, but it was soft and comfortable at least. She had no idea what time she fell asleep, but she was awoken by a familiar voice what felt like five minutes later.

"Myra?"

She slowly opened her eyes, blinking them profusely in the light of the day. It stung her blue orbs, making her head pound a little harder than before. More than five minutes had surely passed, she guessed that for the sun had wandered across the edge of the sky up to the middle of it. Myra pushed her messy blonde hair out of her face as she gazed up, seeing her brother standing on the porch. He had his hands in the pockets of his shorts, gazing at her weirdly, like he was surprised to see her sleeping in his spot. JJ and their father would often sleep out there on hot nights, enjoying the breeze from the marsh, but Myra preferred her own bed. Her room was at the back of the small house, so she had no problem sleeping with her window open on the summer nights that were a little too warm.

"Hey Jay" she mumbled, still blinking her eyes as to get them adjusted to the bright light. "Why are you sleeping out here?" JJ asked her, walking over towards the couch. "Uhm, I... I got locked out last night" she mumbled quietly, gazing away. JJ sat down in the old armchair next to her, leaning forward with his hands clasped in front of him. "How come?" he asked, furrowing his eyebrows. He had to know everything all the time, especially when it came to her, it was tiering. "I don't know" Myra shrugged, tucking her blonde messy hair behind her ears, "I forgot my keys back in my locker at work, it was late and I was exhausted and just wanted to get back home so I didn't realize that I didn't have my bag until I got here"