075; the party at the island club

Day seven and the island club party was upon them all, and Myra couldn't possibly be less excited. She sat behind the bar in her black dress and nylon stockings. It was the very same outfit she had worn to midsummers and it made her feel just as stupid now as it had back then. She still thought she looked like a flight attendant or some kind of a maid, but she assumed by now that the kooks liked that look. She picked at her nails as the terrace was slowly starting to fill up with people. She was utterly bored and not looking forward to the long and dreadful night ahead of her. All she could think of was how messy the kooks had left the place at midsummers and how much her feet had hurt.

"You're looking good today" the bartender commented as he walked behind the bar, picking up a bottle of champagne as he eyed her. It was the same bartender that often flirted with her, even though she was clearly a lot younger than him. She seemingly had a knack for attracting older men. He was even older than Rafe. "Thanks but don't lie, this uniform makes me look stupid" Myra muttered, gazing up. "Nah you look fancy girl, come on" the bartender went on, pouring the champagne into a few glasses. "Fancy?" Myra questioned with her eyebrows raised, "if that's another word for stupid then fine, alright". The bartender laughed, placing the glasses onto a round plastic tray. "Just take the compliment" he urged as he handed Myra the tray. "Fine, thank you" she mumbled back before she walked off, aiming to serve the alcohol to a bunch of uptight kooks.

As Myra walked around, she could feel the bobby pins from her tight bun press against her scalp. They itched and poked and she couldn't wait for this to be over so she could go home and let her hair down. The only time she ever wore such a neat bun was at events like this. She hated both the look and the feel of it, for it wasn't her. But her boss had been clear when he had ordered all the women to wear their hair up like this, so Myra had to agree no matter how displeased she felt.

Myra soon spotted Ward Cameron and his wife Rose waking out onto the terrace. They were nicely dressed, just as always. Myra moved her feet over towards them with her tray, careful not to spill any of the expensive champagne in the thin tall glasses. "Welcome, have some champagne" she spoke as politely as she could as she stopped by them. Rose smiled faintly as she took a glass, lifting it to her lips to taste the bubbles. Myra watched as her pink lipstick left a trace on the rim of the glass. "Thank you dear" Ward uttered warmly as he took a glass himself, lifting it up towards her as a way to cheers.

Myra smiled back before she rushed away to serve the other guests out on the terrace, not wanting to stick around in their presence for too long. She wasn't sure if Ward was aware of who she was, but she didn't want to hang around to find out. She was almost a hundred percent sure that Rafe hadn't been talking about her, but Ward wasn't stupid after all. She also wasn't sure about what he would think of his son hanging around a pouge girl. Given he had taken his daughter's pouge boyfriend in with a graceful heart, but things around this island wasn't always as easy as that.

She spotted Topper and Kelce with their families as well as Rafe and Sarah's younger sister Louisa over by a table with a bunch of girls who looked to be around her age. She was wearing a teal dress with a pair of cream ballerina flats. She had her hair down and a big smile on her lips. Louisa looked happy Myra thought, as if nothing in this world was bothering her. It wasn't the actual
case, but nevertheless Louisa hid it well. Myra gazed around, looking for the young girl's older brother but he was seemingly nowhere to be found.

Myra and Rafe hadn't talked much after his confession last night. Myra had felt a little taken aback by it, but she didn't really understand why. It had made her feel both uncomfortable and insecure, although she hated it. Rafe was known for being a kook Casanova so she should've expected it. But now Myra couldn't help but to wonder who else he had been so close with. All the girls around him suddenly made her suspicious and awfully aware of herself. She didn't want to be like that so she tried her best to shake it off, but it was proving to be quite difficult. Rafe had been honest and Myra had mumbled something about it being totally fine before thanking him for telling her. He had shrugged it off like it wasn't a big thing and Myra had gone along with it, not telling him about the lump filled with worry and anxiety that was slowly building up in the back of her throat. After that she had to return to work and Rafe went back to golfing with his friends. Myra's shift had ended at ten and when she left she didn't see him anywhere, so she just assumed that he had gone home.