part one

"This dress is stunning on you, Leila." My maid of honor Nat says next to me. She's standing behind me facing a mirror in the bride's room and catches my eye.

Today is the happiest day of my life. I am marrying my best friend. The man who saved me from my demons and I saved him from his. There really isn't any day that can top this.

I take a deep breath and smile, "Thanks, Nat. You know I didn't know which dress to pick. You helped me so much." I turn around and I can see her gray eyes fill with tears.

"I'm just happy that my best friend found someone." Nat breathes out and takes my hands in hers. I squeeze her hands. She practically fell on the floor when Steve told her that we were dating three years ago; she wanted nothing but the best for Steve. And now, she's my maid of honor and I am getting an almost sister.

I can tell her tears are happy ones. But I can also sense something else. I tilt my head and hug her tight.

"What's up, Nat? What are you thinking about?" It can't be anything going on right now. It must be something that she can't stop thinking about. I wonder if she got in a fight with Bruce?

"Leila, I love you. You know that," Nat starts and takes a deep breath, "but you and Steve don't see color."

Oh. That's what she's thinking about. Something that we all suffer when we're born. We aren't able to see color. I've been seeing black and white all my life and I just got used to it. I don't see anything special in these 'colors' people talk about. One can only see color when they find their soulmate. Whether it's a friend or lover it doesn't matter the type of soulmate.

Steve and I haven't found ours yet. The moment we met three years ago we felt an instant connection we kind of took it as our own 'soulmate' thing. I didn't mind not seeing color with Steve and I know he doesn't mind either. We've only talked about it a few times, but I know in my heart he's the one for me. Colors or not.

I swat the air away with my hand and smile, "Nat, quit being ridiculous. You know I don't care about that."

"Are you sure you want to marry Steve? What if you never get to see color with him? Maybe it's like a delayed reaction?" Nat says to me with worried eyes.

"Sure, I want to marry him. The colors will show eventually and you know even if it doesn't, my heart won't change how I feel about Steve."

"Okay, fine." Nat sighs. "I trust you." She gives me one last hug and turns us both back to the mirror. My dress has so many intricate details that even if I can't see color I can see the beauty of it. It's full of simple lace along the bust and trickles down the skirt and ends at the train of the dress. It has sleeves that are mesh so it's see through but the lace detailing creates a beautiful pattern along my arms. I hope to keep this dress forever. 

Nat's dress is also beautifully made with light silk fabric in hints of pink (Nat's words not mine) and sweeping past her long legs with a small slit. It accentuates her curves so well, something I will always be jealous of. 

Suddenly, we hear the door open and my cousin, Kelli peers in smiling, "It's time!" She says.

I nod and hold Nat's hand as I grab my bouquet in the other and walk to the door. My cousin helps me with the train behind my dress and says she will get the flower girl ready as well as the ring bearer once I'm near the entrance of the wedding hall. It's not too far of a walk and I can hear the music down the hall as we get close. 

My heart starts to go double time as I near the doors and hear the symphony stop to prepare for the bride's walk down the aisle song. I know the bridesmaids and groomsmen are already there with Steve. Nat decided to stay behind and walk me down the aisle since it was just me. I lost my parents years ago and while I was freaking out to Steve that I wouldn't have anyone to 'give me away' at the altar that's when Nat stood up in our little living room and said she would do it. I know how much Steve means to her so I guess learning about our future marriage made me an extension to that. I couldn't be more grateful.