part twenty seven

WARNING: 18+ MINORS DNI

Leila POV

The meeting went great. So great that the supervisors kind of joked that I should be the new Sam and permanently take over his role. I couldn't wait to start this new chapter in my career.

I decided to take my time after the meeting to see Sam's (my) office and add some personal touches to it. Once inside, I instantly remembered the time Bucky and I were in there. I shake my head and chuckle, wondering if he'd be stopping by this week. It's only Monday, so one can only hope.

My hands trail over the mahogany desk that's now bare from any of Sam's picture frames or sticky notes that used to be splattered all over the top. I take a seat in the plush office chair and lean back, closing my eyes. I revel in this moment for a few seconds before I sit back up and smile. This is all mine. I got myself here.

I can't help but do a little squeal in my chair as I think of all the times my parents encouraged me to go after my dreams. They always knew I'd make it to where I had my own nonprofit and eventually an office space. I just didn't think it'd happen this soon. I was planning to get this far later in my 30's. I'm a few years early and I'm so proud.

My brown leather shoulder bag is off to the side by my feet and I pick it up, placing it onto the desk. I start to take out a small journal that I try to write out goals for my nonprofit and ideas, placing it inside the first drawer of the desk. I take out a couple pens and legal pads and place them on top of the desk.

I look around the office space and start to visualize what decorations I can bring later this week. My eyes suddenly glance down at my fingers on my left hand. In a different world, I'd be ecstatic to bring in wedding photos to place around my office.

I shake my head to snap out of that headspace and start to think of what pictures I can bring  that don't correlate to Steve and I. That's when I realized Bucky and I don't have any photos together. After months of knowing each other and getting closer, we've yet to take anything in fear of Steve finding out about us. I'll definitely have to take some now.

I get up from the desk, satisfied with what I could do today and head out of the office, making sure to lock the door. The hallway is quiet but there are faint murmurs coming from the rooms to the left indicating therapy sessions are currently going. I've been thinking of joining one of them just to see if it could help me with everything that's been going on the past few months.

When Sam let me know that I was taking over his position at the VA office, he mentioned to me that I was able to join any of the therapy programs that were offered. Although I'm not a veteran, Sam said it would be a good way to hear other stories that might be similar to mine. I really want to try and see if it helps and who knows, maybe I'll go off and find my own therapist.

I bring myself back to reality and head down the hallway, ready to get back to the apartment to tie up loose ends with my nonprofit before beginning the merge with the VA programs. It brought relief to know that Steve wouldn't be home so I could have the time to myself.

    It's about six o'clock when there's a knock at the door. I know it's Bucky and I can't help but run towards the door like a little kid. I texted him once I was finished with my work and he let me know he would come by to pick me up.

    "Hi," I say as I jump into Bucky's arms as I open my front door. He falters a little in his steps from the unexpected embrace before getting his balance back.

    "I missed you," He gently responds, kissing my neck and then pulling away to kiss my nose and then my lips. I can't help but continue to kiss him right there in the entrance. He lets out a frustrated groan before shaking his head and releasing our lips.