2.

| Chapter Two |

Waking up early the next morning, I had a rush of excitement throughout the entire time I had gotten ready and rushed downstairs to greet my parents for the morning.

"How was last night?" My father asked, leaning against the island top while holding a cup of coffee in his hands.

I grabbed my keys from the table and engulfed him in a hug. "It went great, I'm planning on surprising Topper at the Country Club when I leave." I informed him, stealing a sip of his coffee and smirking as he narrowed his eyes at me.

"Oh! That reminds me. I talked with Ward last night and he invited us, as well as the Thornton's, for dinner at theirs tonight as a welcome back. So, make sure you get home before five." He sent me a wink and began walking out of the room.

I nodded before bidding him goodbye, slipping out of the house, and sliding into my Jeep. I sent a quick message to Rafe to let him know I was on the way before backing out of the driveway and making my way to the Country Club.

Turning the music down on the radio as I entered the Country Club, I parked my Jeep and waited for any sign of Rafe's truck.

I sat there watching the seagulls fly over and listened to chatter coming from inside the Country Club before I eventually set my eyes on the black truck that was parked a few rows down from my Jeep.

I kept my head down as Rafe and Topper passed by me and entered through the doors with their golf clubs slung on their arms.

Before entering, I watched the wink Rafe had sent me while Topper was focused on getting to the door. I chucked and sat there for a couple of minutes before getting out and walking through the doors.

The Country Club was just how I remembered it being when I was eleven, half full of rich snobs and the other half just there to golf or eat breakfast with their friends or family.

I passed through multiple crowds trying to get out to the golf course. I maneuvered my way out of people's way as I eventually arrived outside, letting out a breath as I looked around.

Setting up and picking out their preferred clubs were Topper and Rafe as I walked out to them. I probably looked ridiculous on the golf course while wearing a pair of jeans and a random crop top but I didn't care as Rafe had spotted me.

He grinned as he acted oblivious while Topper was too focused to notice my approaching figure. "You reckon I can still beat your ass in golf like I used to, or have you gotten any better?"

My voice made him still as he looked up at Rafe before he slowly turned with furrowed eyebrows and widened eyes.

I chuckled and waved at him, standing there with my hands on my hips. "Lane?" He whispered as he scanned my face.

"Hi, Topper." I grinned and wrapped my arms around him, setting my chin on his shoulder as I looked up at Rafe and smiled.

"Wha-what?" He said breathlessly as his arms snaked around my lower back, bringing me into him and breathing in my scent.

Tears pricked my eyes as I stood there in his embrace, my eyes closing to not let them fall. I cleared my throat before backing away and looking up at him.