14.

| Chapter Fourteen |

As the night progressed with more fireworks set off and more alcohol consumed, the night became a frenzy for everyone there, including me.

The music turned into more early 2000's pop and Sarah and I were dancing without a thought in the world. We both held drinks in our hands while our feet danced against the sand.

My eyes were closed as I moved to the beat of the music, the air around me smelling like salt and alcohol. I felt euphoric for the first time in years and I was finally glad to not have to worry about anything lurking in my mind.

"You've mesmerized some guys, Lane." Sarah giggled, a smirk on her lips as she looked around the two of us.

I opened my eyes and allowed a laugh to bubble past my lips as I noticed the looks. Lustful stares were trained on me and the other women around us.

"As do you, Sar, don't ignore them." I pointed, her head turning to glance behind her where she found a group of guys smirking as their eyes trailed down her body.

I quickly turned when I felt a hand on my hip, gazing up at the tall figure of Rafe who had seemed to be staring at me all night for some reason. I figured it was the alcohol in me but I couldn't help but focus solely on his lips.

He was shirtless and water trickled down the tanned skin of his chest, inching down to his waistline and soaking into his swim trunks.

"Eyes up here, love." His voice, rough and slightly slurred, made my eyes filter up from his lips and to his blue eyes.

"Don't be so cocky, Cameron." I tilted my head and lifted my left eyebrow. It was difficult to not glance back down to what drew me in.

He only grinned and looked away from my burning gaze. I took notice of his sharp jawline and I, too, had to look away or I'd regret what my thoughts wanted to become true.

"You seem to be the island's favorite tonight. Nobody can quite look away from you." He leaned down to whisper in my ear, his lips grazing my ear.

I shivered and closed my eyes, preparing myself to look at him again. I knew it was the alcohol doing it to me but I didn't pay it any mind.

"If I can recall, a certain blonde was the center of your attention a few hours ago, no?" I questioned, my face rid of any sort of expression.

His eyes narrowed as he seemed to think over my words, his hand tightening slightly on my hip. When his eyes met mine again, he clenched his jaw. "It isn't what you think. She was asking me a question." He explained.

I shrugged, "I didn't think anything of it. If I did, it wouldn't have been any of my business, anyway." I stated, backing up and turning around.

But, his finger caught underneath my bikini strap on my waist and he pulled me back to him, even closer than before. The finger in question stayed there and caressed my skin. "Go to midsummers with me? I don't want to escort anyone beside you."

His words made my expression turn serious and as my lips parted in shock, a smile turned over his lips at my reaction. I stood there unmoving until I nodded, laughing as I wrapped my arms around his neck and engulfed him. "Of course, I'll go. I'd be an idiot to refuse."