Chapter 26: Shadows and Fireworks

"Alright, alright! Onto the next match!" Present Mic shouted as Kula sat down next to Kishi. "First, we have the bird of shadows from the hero course, Tokoyami Fumikage! Vs. The Firework show from the support course, Hawajima Mika!"

"Go Mika!" Kishi cheered, "You can do this!"

Mika glanced up at their class's seating area, and gave them a thumbs up before turning her attention to her bird-headed opponent.

"Battle, start!" Present Mic shouted.

***

Once Midnight announced the start of the battle, Mika watched as a shadowy bird, which was called Dark Shadow, bursted out of Tokoyami and headed straight towards her. She didn't waste a second in sending a few fireworks at it and jumping out of it's reach, though as soon as the fireworks hit Dark Shadow, it flinched, pulling back and hovering over Tokoyami's shoulder.

She narrowed her eyes, but wasn't given time to think as the shadow lunged toward her again. She jumped out of it's way and sent more fireworks in it's direction, this time not aiming to hit it directly. She wanted to test something with Dark Shadow/

As the fireworks exploded near it, Mika watched a the creature flinched back, confirming what she had been testing. The creature was sensitive to light. Now with that confirmation, she already had a plan that would let her win this match— poor Tokoyami was matched up against the wrong person.

"It looks like Hawajima has made a plan!" Present Mic announced as Mika started running straight towards Tokoyami, a grin on her face. Dark Shadow tried to get to her on her right, but she raised her right hand and shot fireworks at it, making it flinch and try to get to her on her left, only to be assulted by more fireworks.

Out of the corner of her eyes, she saw that Dark Shadow was moving to attack her from behind. Skidding to a halt, she turned around, sending more firework at it.

"It looks like Hawajima's fireworks prove to be difficult for Tokoyami's Dark Shadow to get past!" Present Mic shouted.

The crowd was cheering, their voices only being drowned out by the occasional booming of an exploding firework. She could hear Kishi from their seating section cheering his ass off for her. As she got closer and closer to Tokoyami, the crowd's cheers got louder, almost deafening.

Tokoyami hadn't moved from his spot, since which meant he was already standing rather close to the boundary lines. Still sending out her fireworks. As she got closer, Dark Shadow moved back to Tokoyami, expanding and acting as a shield for him.

"You can try to protect yourself, but I know your weakness!" Mika shouted, reaching both her hand in front of her, fingertips pointed towards Dark Shadow. Ten fireworks were sent out, and she tensed slightly as her hands cramped up. She was starting to reach the limit of her quirk. Though, it looked like her plan worked since Dark Shadow had retreated to hover over Tokoyami's shoulder, much smaller than it was before, and looking like an injured animal. She took the chance and placed both her hands on his shoulder, pushing him back.

"Hawajima has made contact with Tokoyami! It looks like she's planning to push him out of bounds!" Present Mic announced as the crowd watched in anticipation.

With one final push from Mika, Tokoyami stumbled back, just barely stepping out of bounds.

"Tokoyami is out of bounds! Hawajima moves onto the finals!" Midnight exclaimed, and the crowd went wild.

***

From their seating section, Kula had been watching the match closely, before the match, she had already slightly admired Mika before— the girl was willing to be her friend despite how closed off Kula had been— and just seeing how fast Mika was able to figure out Dark Shadow's weakness and come up with a plan made her admire her a bit more.

Mika was standing on the arena, a grin on her face as she looked around at the cheering crowd. For a second, she turned and looked towards where Kula was their eyes meeting.

Kula stood up, leaning against the railing as she took a deep breath, "You go, Mika!" Shs shouted, her eyes shining as she looked down at the blonde.

Kula watched as Mika headed out of the field, and the two students for the last match of the third match walked on, Mina Ashido vs. Bakugo Katsuki— whoever won this battler would be who Kula would be fighting in her next match.

***

"Ashido Mina is out of bounds! Bakugo Katsuki moves onto the Semi-finals!" Midnight announced.

Kula looked down at the blonde haired boy with dread, she was for sure going to die in this next match, there was no doubt about it.