8: 𝙼𝚜. 𝙻𝚊𝚗𝚊

The Maybank siblings walk side by side together towards the Chateau. JJ had pulled his sister out of bed, the two now going to meet John B, who had given the empty tanks back to the Cameron's boat earlier that day.

Once they made it to the front door of the Chateau, Y/n's e/c eyes stop on a piece of paper with the words, 'Department of Child Services' with John B's name on the sheet. JJ didn't seem to notice as he uses one hand to bang on the door.

"DCS! I know you're in there!" JJ shouts, making his voice sound more deep than usual.

Not hearing any sound come from inside, JJ grabs his sister's hand, the two running to the side of the Chateau, where the blonde's hand leaves his sister's, jumping at a window, revealing John B on the other side, scaring the shit out of the Routledge boy, making JJ start laughing.

"Gotcha, slick." JJ laughs loudly. "You should have seen your face. Your face was like..."

Y/n just rolls her eyes at her brother, but a small, amusing smile lays on her lips as JJ continues to laugh at John B's scared expression.

***

The three now sat in the van, John B and JJ in the front with Y/n in the back, music playing through her phone as she had headphones covering her ears, not being able to hear the boys conversation. Which somehow, ended up landing on John B and Y/n.

"I'm just saying, I don't understand why you don't at least try with Y/n." JJ says.

"You know, this is your sister we're talking about." John B reminds.

"She clearly likes you." JJ continues. "She's sketching about you diving, then she kissed you, bro."

"She kissed me on the cheek." John B states, glancing back at the girl. "It's not like we were making out or something."

"Don't pretend that you don't notice. I see it in your eyes. You're like, "I kinda like that", and you start blushing." JJ recalls.

"I blush?" John B asks, trying not to stutter as blush rises to his cheeks.

JJ nods. "Yeah. See, you're doing it right now." John B goes to shake his head, but JJ continues. "You're blushing so much right now!"

"Okay. So what if I am?" John B questions as he glances between the road and the blonde.

"Why don't you just ask her out, bro?" JJ asks.

"How are you so comfortable with this? This is your sister. Remember?" John B reminds. "You're always so overprotective of her."

JJ shrugs. "Okay, yeah, I am. But that doesn't mean that I don't want her to be happy. And she's happy with you. I can see that. I can see the same with you, too."

John B smiles slightly, glancing back at the said girl before continuing to drive. Eventually, they make it to Ms. Lana's house, the three hopping out.

"Know what this house looks like?" John B asks.

"Whoever lives here smokes too much weed." Y/n replies.

As they make their way towards the house, shouts and crashes are heard from inside, along with loud sobbing. While John B continues to slowly walk towards the structure, the Maybank siblings hesitate.

"Maybe we should come back. It's a little too soon." JJ suggests.

"No, no, shut up. Shut up, JJ." John B refuses, wanting to hear better.

"Tell me where it is, or I'll fuck you up!" A male voice demands. "I'll sink you in the fucking-"

The male is cut off by a loud crush, followed by a woman screaming loudly, making the teenagers jump slightly. John B motions for the siblings to follow, which they reluctantly do as the house reminds them of their own house.

"Where the fuck is it, you bitch?" The male voice shouts, a slap type sound following.

"I don't know!" Lana sobs in response.

John B continues forward, the siblings following close behind before they find themselves against the walls of the house, right under the open window. Both JJ and John B pull Y/n close to them, all while the Maybank siblings tried not to shake in fear.

"The compass wasn't in the boat! Where is it, Lana?" The man asks in a shouting manner.

"I don't know!" Lana repeats, still sobbing.

As more crashing happens, paint falls all over their heads. JJ lifts one of his hands towards his sister's hair, ruffling the white paint out of her h/c hair.

"Let's get the hell out of here, man." The man says to someone else.

"We should just go-" JJ begins.

"Shut up." John B cuts him off.

The teenagers slowly peek over the wall, making sure to stay hidden as they see two men walking out of the house. They watch as they hop onto a familiar boat.

"Those were the guys that shot at us." Y/n observes.

They watch the two men, luckily, not noticing the three of them as they drive away before the teenagers walk inside the house, calling for Ms. Lana, eventually finding her slumped against the wall in her bathroom.

"Hey, are you okay?" John B asks softly, crouching down next to her. "It's okay."

"Dude, she's tweaking. Come on." JJ pats his shoulder, trying to get him to leave.

"Do you need a doctor?" Y/n questions in concern, crouching beside John B.

"Let's call the sheriff's department." John B suggests.

"No cops, please." Lana begs.

JJ hums. "That's not good. Come on, guys. Let's just go."

"You shouldn't be here." Lana tells John B as tears continue to fall.

"That's enough for me. Come on." JJ continues.

"Wait, wait." John B shrugs the blonde's hand off him. "What do you know about these guys?"

"They were looking for something." Lana informs.

"Does it have anything to do with this?" John B asks as he pulls the compass out from his pocket. "Do you know anything about this? This was my father's, and Scooter had it. Why?"

Lana shakes her head. "Scooter didn't have it, okay? Don't tell anyone that you have that."

JJ pulls his sister up to her feet, who glances at John B. The blonde grabs ahold of the boy as he tries to question Lana more, only for her to warn him, raising her voice while doing so. As JJ pulls him out of the house, holding his sister's hand while doing so, many questions plays through John B's mind.