33: 𝚘𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚛𝚞𝚗

The night sky was still up, the sounds of dogs barking rapidly, adding to the sound of police sirens filled the three teenagers eardrums as they ran down a dirt road. Topper had distracted the cops and all the civilians chasing after John B long enough for all of them to run out of the burning church from the back.

John B held Y/n's hand in his as Sarah led them towards a rather nice house, a sign with a picture of Rose Cameron just in front of the lawn. The three teenagers jog to the porch where Sarah crouches down, unlocking the door by a code. Just then, deep voices could be heard from behind them.

Frantically, they look over their shoulders, seeing two officers just turning into their direction. Sarah quickly opens the door, ushering the couple in before closing it behind them, locking it. All three of them were quick to hide behind the door, Sarah turning the flashlight in her hand off just as the doorknob rattles, signaling a cop was trying to get in.

Eventually, the heavy footsteps fade away, letting them know that the cop had traveled somewhere else to search for John B. Sarah rises to her feet, leading her friends upstairs where they walk into a room, looking out the window from the blinds, watching as Rafe and Kelce trailed behind the cops.

"I can't believe that's my brother." Sarah whispers.

Her two friends look at her sympathetically just as she shakes her head, informing the two she was gonna check around. As she exited the room, John B grabs his girlfriend's hand again, leading her into a smaller room where Y/n grabs a blanket off the floor.

Both let out a breathe they didn't know they were holding as they lay themselves side by side on a small bed-like structure, Y/n placing the blankets over them. As Y/n held a flashlight, the light shined up on the ceiling, seeing a galaxy picture on the ceiling, both of them mumbling small 'wows'.

"Hey, did you know the bottom two stars in the Little Dipper point to the North Star?" John B points out, using his finger to point at what he was saying.

Y/n nods with a smile. "Yeah. Didn't I tell you that one time?"

John B sheepishly shrugs. "Maybe."

Y/n chuckles, looking back up at the ceiling. "That's the center point, you know. What everything else spins around."

Just then, the sounds of the dogs and the police officer's loud voices make the boy sit straight up, gasping in fear. Y/n immediately shushes his loud breathing, pulling him back down and holding him close to her, using the pad of her thumb to caress his cheek, pressing a delicate kiss to his forehead while doing so.

"Could you remind me of the happy ending?" John B questions.

Y/n nods. "Yeah. We're gonna meet the crew at the dock tomorrow. Then they're gonna have the getaway boat."

"Then we go to Mexico." John B concludes.

"Yeah. And you're gonna be a fishing instructor." Y/n adds.

"You're damn right." John B agrees, nodding.

"And I'm gonna, hopefully, write a book. Maybe have a library. And we're gonna have a house on a beach... and a dog and a boat. We'll remake the Pogue. And everything's gonna be okay." Y/n continues.

Continuing to caress her boyfriend's cheek, she looks up, seeing he was now peacefully sleeping. That made her heart flutter, glad he was finally sleeping after not sleeping for so long. Pressing a kiss to his temple, she rests her head right next to his, hearing the shouting continue from outside.

***

The sun was up, the birds chirping as they flew around in the air and on the beach, not seeming to notice the complications that was currently happening in the Outer Banks at the moment. The occasional sound of sirens could be heard throughout the island as they continued looking for John B Routledge.