Chapter 15

"That's a lot of wax on your board. Put too much wax, it's gonna be slippery." JJ looks up from his work. "Are you telling me how to wax my board?" Pope looks at him. "Just saying that's a lot of wax." "You're telling me how to wax my board. You kidding?" "That's a colossal waste of wax." "Can you both just shut up?" Suddenly a horn honks. We all look at each other confused. Suddenly John B's van drives up and we all look at each other with a mixture of joy and confusion.

The Pogues all run up and hug him and I stand off to the side giving them the space. Suddenly John B pulls me into the hug. "Get in here. You're a Pogue too." I chuckle and hug him. I guess I missed him. I look at him. "Please don't tell me you broke out of prison." "Uh, they dropped the charges." I widen my eyes. JJ looks at him. "You're telling me I did all that work for nothing?" I roll my eyes. Pope looks at him. 

"Oh, the most elaborate escape plan of all time?" Kie holds up quotation signs. "Foolproof." "Yeah, it was, actually." "So foolproof that Kie had to drive in front of a moving ambulance so that you could escape from the back? That sounds really foolproof." "You know what? No one asked for your opinion, Emelia." "But I gave it anyways." John B interrupts us. "Where's Sarah?" My smile drops. 

"No, no, no. Where... where... where's Sarah?" I look down. I should have expected this would be one of the first things he asked. "I don't know." "What do you mean? Isn't she your best friend?" I look down. "Look, she went to meet Wheezie last night and hasn't come back." He glares at me. "And you didn't go look for her?" "John B, the Cameron family wants to kill me. They want me dead. Do you really think I can just go around the island by myself. It's a deathwish." He sighs. 

"Sorry, it's not your fault." We sit on the deck. John B is worrying. "I honestly think maybe she just stayed over with Wheezie somewhere. She hasn't seen her in a while and they have a lot to talk about." He looks at me. "So, Sarah just dips and doesn't call." Pope shrugs. "Well, she just left her bag and didn't tell anyone." He looks at me. "I really think Ward got to her. I mean, the dude tried to have me killed in jail." My eyes widen. "What?" He nods. 

"Yeah. He sent somebody to the prison who yoked me up and almost killed me." Kie looks at him. "Serious?" He nods. JJ looks at him. "Do we know who this dude was?" "No, I have no idea. Dude, I just swear to God, one day I'm gonna kill that son of a bitch." "It's okay." "No, Kie, it's not okay. We gotta find Sarah." "No, literally, it's okay. She's right there." I stiffen when I see who she's with. I only really have bad memories with Topper. There is not a single good memory I can think of when it comes to him.

Sarah looks at John B excited. She basically jumps off the boat launching herself in his arms. He hugs her tight. She smiles. "I didn't think I'd get to see you again. What happened?" "They dropped all charges." She smiles even wider. "Really? That's great." "That means they're going for your brother." "Good, he's unhinged. He jumped me last night." We all look at her in shock. "That's why I didn't come back."

Topper speaks up. "Yeah, man. Rafe has lost his mind. Literally almost drowned his own sister. Thankfully, I got there...got there just in time."  "Yeah, he did." "Uh, well, I guess I owe you one, Topper, don't I." "It's all good. I mean, somebody had to rescue your girlfriend, right?" I roll my eyes. John B looks at him. "Uh, that's funny because she's not actually my girlfriend, right?" "Uh.... Well, what is she then?" He looks at Sarah. "Tell him." "I'm.... I'm with him." I almost groan. Topper laughs.

"Gotcha. You're with him. Okay, yeah. I just, like, needed a little clarity there. You guys clear on that?" JJ speaks up. "I think it's clear you gotta go now." He nods taking the hint. He looks at me. "Nice to see you, Emelia." "Couldn't say the same thing to you, Topper." He drives off on his boat and I roll my eyes. We all go our seperate ways after he leaves.