Chapter 21

"Cleo, do you actually know where we're going?" "We can hole up here. It ain't the Taj Mahal, but..." John B nods. "It'll do." "I get the biggest room." I chuckle at her words as I follow after her. We get up to the abandoned building. I start to look over the edge, when suddenly JJ grabs me pulling me back with his hand over my mouth. I stay quiet as some guards drive past. He removes his hand and we make a run for it stopping when necessary. Cleo stops us as we see a guard just ahead of us. When the guard gives the all clear to the other guards, we run up the stairs.

John B looks at Cleo. "You sure this is safe?" "You got a better idea? We can stay here. It's an old hotel. Terrance and I squatted here before." JJ is the first to go through. "Five stars." The boys all go through and we follow in behind them. "Watch your step. Massive sinkhole." Sarah and I look down. Sarah sighs. "Oh. Home sweet home." I wipe my mouth. I turn to JJ. "Never do that again please." "A thank you would suffice, princess." I roll my eyes. "JJ, stop flirting with her. She has a girlfriend who we need to rescue by the way." He looks at Pope. "I wasn't flirting. She's not my type, anyway." I put my hand over my heart over my heart in mock offence. "Oh the horror. Whatever will I do?" 

I turn to the others. "But Pope's right. We gotta get Kiara out. Does anyone have anything?" Pope  sighs. "Well, we can't storm the fort. We can't call the cops. We can't negotiate. We don't know what they want." "Not helpful, Pope." He sighs. "It's gotta be about the cross or the gold." "Mm-mm." I look at Cleo interested. "Guys like Singh, it's always about money." I sigh. We definitely don't have any of that. I sink to the floor and put my head on my knees. I just want her back with us. 

Kiara's POV

I look at the floor where Rafe is sleeping. I quietly slip off the bed before walking towards the window watching him the whole time. I knock on the window getting the attention of the guard. "Hey! Hey. I need to talk to Mr. Singh. Hey, go get Mr. Singh." "What are you doing?" I ignore Rafe. "Hey, you! I need to talk to Mr. Singh." "Shut up. Shut up. Shut up." He moves towards me. "What are you doing?" I glare at him. "Like I owe you an explanation." I walk away from him towards the door. "Think for a second! Kie, what are you doing?" Once again, I ignore him. 

I hit the door. "Hello?" "Hey! What are you doing?" "Don't talk to me!" I look back at the door hitting it. Suddenly he comes up close behind me. "You're lying about this diary thing. You know where it is." "No, I don't." I walk away from him. "You don't? Okay." "You wish." "Okay, listen, I wouldn't tell me either." I go back to the window banging on it. "Hey!" "But he's never gonna believe that we don't know something, all right? Singh killed that--" He grabs me and I whirl towards him. "Hey!" "Look around, Kie. I'm the only friend you've got. I'm even willing to forget that you and your little group of Pogues killed my brother." 

My eyes widen. "You didn't know. Yeah, Sage is dead." The door unlocks and a guard walks in. Immediately, I walk towards him. I ignore Rafe. "I need to talk to Mr. Singh. I have something to tell him. It's urgent." I look back at Rafe and he looks upset. "Yes." The guard grabs my arm leading the way. 

Emelia's POV

I wake up to the sound of Sarah's voice. "What is that?" I turn to look at JJ. "This is a little souvenir that I plucked from Portis' pocket." I look at him in frustration. "You've had a phone this whole time?!" "I forgot I had it. It was in my back pocket. That's my bad." Pope looks at him. "Oh my God, dude. Can we go anywhere without you stealing?" "You know the answer, Pope." Pope sits up. "Let me see it." Cleo nods. "Nice work, rude boy." "I steal shit. That's my job." He hands it to Pope. 

"How'd you get it unlocked?" "No passcode. Portis keeps it loose." JJ informs us that they're gonna look for the kidnapper. I move forward and watch over their shoulders as Pope looks through the phone. There's no one by the name of Carlos Singh but there is a bunch of nicknames. Sarah looks at us. "Didn't Portis call him something else?" I try to remember. We all put names forward.  "Kingfish." We all look at John B who's just woken up. The most helpful he's been. Pope finds his contact. JJ nods. "All right, phase two. Text him, okay?"