Chapter 17

I lie across the couch half asleep as the boys are talking about something useless. The door opens and I look to see Sarah. JJ smiles. "Well, hello princess." I smile when I see her. I'm glad she's okay. John B looks at her. "Shouldn't you be on Figure Eight with your little group of polo players? Or did you break up with Topper?" She rolls her eyes. "We're just friends." She moves away from him. "He's just a friend. You have a lot of friends, Sarah Cameron." "Yeah, and it seems like you've got some of your own too." "All right, what are you doing here?" She sighs. "I'm here for Pope."

Pope looks at her confused. "I think I found the island room." We all sit up suddenly aware and awake. We go into the Twinkie and drive towards my house where the island room is. Pope speaks up. "Guys, listen to this. The diary says the cross holds the most holy relic in all of Christendom, the Garment of the Savior." Kie looks at him confused. "So wait, he's saying there's a holy garment inside the cross?" "Yeah. It says the garment is capable of healing the sick from any malady." JJ nods. "Mmm, yeah. "If only I may touch His garment, I shall be made well." We all look at JJ confused and he shrugs. "What? I went to Sunday School." I nod unconvinced. "Sure." Pope takes us back on topic. "Well, that explains why Limbrey would want the cross so bad. She thinks it can heal her."

Kie looks at him. "What else does it say?" "Many feel that we have sinned to steal such a sacred thing, and God will strike His vengeance on us." "Thing is, God did have His vengeance." Pope nods at Kie's words. "He sent a hurricane to sink the ship. Only Denmark survived." We sit there quietly for the rest of the ride, contemplating. When we get there, I almost don't wanna go in. What if he's there? Waiting to kill me. Kie notices my nervousness and she grabs my hand. "It's fine." I turn away from her as I feel my cheeks heating up. JJ makes eye contact with me and he's  got a little smile on his face that I don't appreciate.  Sarah leads us to the Island Room and it's Ward's office. We look around in awe and shock. We can't believe this is happening.

"Yo, this is a map of the whole island." "Yeah, John B, I think you're right because this is Rixon's right here. And then, there's the lighthouse." Kie points at something. "Guys, look, Parcel 9 and the well." John B looks around. "So, if that's Parcel 9, and then if that's Rixon's, then that's gotta be the surf break at Mase." JJ nods. "Right. And look. Pope, come here. This is Denmark's handwriting for sure." "The drawings, they match up." "Holy shit." "Denmark, you genius!" Pope walks around.

"These are all his drawings... He painted this entire room." Kie looks at him. "Yeah, question is why. What's he trying to tell us?" "It's gotta have something to do with the key, right?" Romeo looks around. "Right?" "Yeah, but what?" John B looks at Sarah. "How did you know to uncover this?" "I didn't. It was like this when I got home." I look at her confused. "What?" She shrugs before moving away from John B. "Okay, then who did it?" "I don't know." "The freaks." We all gasp as we turn around to see Wheezie there. I try to slow down my crazily beating heart. He's not here. 

JJ looks at Wheezie. "What freaks are we talking about, Wheeze?" "Uh... that sick lady, and her attack dog. They... they showed up last night, and they wanted to talk to Rafe."  JJ questions her further. "Wait. Pale blond lady?" She nods. "She have crutches?" She nods. I look at her. "What happened?" "First, they searched the whole house looking for something, and then Rafe told me to go upstairs. But I didn't wanna miss out, so I listened through the grate."

She tells us what she heard and we listen intently. She finishes and we look at her and then she remembers. "Oh! And they were talking about getting across the sand flamingo." JJ nods. "That's code for something." The boys agree and I roll my eyes. "No, she means The Cross of Santo Domingo." She nods. "Yeah, that's right. Oh, and they were talking about angels. A lot of angel talk. I don't know." We think on that. Pope lights up. "Guys, Denmark's famous last words. He buried the real treasure at the foot of the angel."

We all nod. "They're looking for an angel. We have to find the angel in the room." We nod spreading out. Wheezie tries to get us to tell her what we're doing but we're too busy focusing on trying to find an angel. " Hey, yo! Hey, guys, I think I found something." We all move quickly towards JJ. "This humongous tree is still on Goat Island. You know what it's called?" Pope's eyes widen. "Angel Oak." "Look there. There's the keyhole." We all look to where JJ is pointing. "Wait. That means the cross is buried at the foot of the angel."