𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

SOFÍA CASTILLO

SOFÍA CASTILLO

After my meeting with James, I find myself joining in on the quick tour Valentina offered to our guests. James' right-hand man, Sam, seemed more than eager to get a tour of our massive villa and land. I, on the other hand, kept finding myself locking eyes with James every so often.

It was in the simplest ways that almost felt like we were the only ones in the house. Soft blue eyes meeting mine, creating some kind of feeling I wasn't used to. Was it interest in him or curiosity about him?

"Sofía?" Valentina calls out, breaking me out of my thoughts. I look up and see her kind eyes searching through mine and I register that we're nearing the end of the tour near the french doors that lead to the garden and guest quarters.

"Si, estoy aquí" I answer abruptly, letting her know that I'm here and listening. I look to my left and see Sam and James watching and I smile wondering if they know any Spanish at all. This catches James off guard and I can see his body stiffen and his eyes glance from me and then settles on Valentina.

"Órale," Valentina urges us to follow her as she opens the huge creme french doors and steps out onto the paved walkway.

It leads us from the garden to the secluded courtyard my father and I had our meeting last week. The pool is sparkling and off to the side in the far right, there's another secluded patio with a fountain. Valentina keeps talking, answering all of Sam's questions to the best of her ability.

Valentina knows some English, but her accent makes it hard to decipher some words. I appreciate Sam and James attempting to understand her.

"So you guys have a house and a guest house almost a mile away?" Sam asks with widened eyes. "This place is beautiful."

I stop in my tracks and turn to look at Sam. "Thank you, Sam. I think you both know you're more than welcome to stay here at our guesthouse instead of in the city."

Sam and James look at each other for a brief moment before James clears his throat and stuffs his tattooed hand in his pants pocket. "We appreciate the kind offer. If it's not a bother, we would be glad to accept. We planned to find a hotel." He confesses.

I wave my hand and let out a small laugh. "Claro que no, of course not, you'll be more secure here. Word spreads around fast in this city, and in this country, to be fair. We may have a lot of power in this country, but we still have our enemies, Mr. Barnes."

Sam shifts from one foot to another as he takes in my words. I can't lie to them and let them think finding a hotel here would be the safest option. With who they are and where they came from, many people would be curious and try to start something.

A mafia boss from one of the biggest cities in America who happens to be in the same city as the Castillo Cartel? Sounds like the perfect way to get a bargaining chip to get what they want.