𝐓𝐄𝐍

JAMES BARNES

JAMES BARNES

The plane ride home is quick and smooth. Sam and I split off once we touch land and I find myself in my living room pacing, wondering what the fuck I got myself into. It's not like I don't like Sofía. But there is something that is keeping me from getting too intimate with her.

I know it's not because I'm not experienced. I've had plenty. But this time, something in me is wanting to continue with this constant chase and slow tension-building game that Sofía and I are trapped in. It's as if this build-up will make our actual moment so much better.

My steps are growing faster as I think, letting my mind run wild on this realization. Sofía is only a few years younger than I am and Costel might be right about how she doesn't have much experience with being a leader in this kind of business.

But Costel hasn't been in Mexico with me to see her passion and wanting to learn more about her father's business. She's trying and that's all we can ask for right now.

I'd rather work with her and teach her what I know than be stuck with her cousin. That would be a dumpster fire and there would be for sure an international war between the mafia and cartel. That wasn't a chance I could take and destroy everything that my father built.

I finally sit down on my gray couch and lean back, spreading my legs across the cushion comfortably. I close my eyes and sigh, letting the exhaustion from the trip finally take hold of me.

Everything is going to be just fine with the Castillos and my business. I have a great foundation and the Castillos have been doing this for years. Whatever obstacles we face, we'll face together.

And with that, I let my mind drift into a mindless sleep on the couch.

· ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── ·

"Rogers, you know that I can't share this kind of personal information with you."

My voice is harsh and rather daunting as I pace my office, the call on speakerphone.

On the other line is Steve Rogers, annoyingly pushy Steve Rogers. He's been calling nonstop the past week attempting to break me of information about my international ties. I'm guessing Natasha and Ivan aren't giving up anything either.

There's ruffling noise in the background of the call and I stop pacing, turning my head to look at my phone on my desk. Steve's voice suddenly breaks the silence. "Don't be like that Bucky. Ya used to tell me everything you did with your father. Why stop now?"

The thick Brooklyn accent is heavy as Steve speaks. My jaw clenches at the nickname Steve used to give me a couple of years back. We were just starting off learning the ropes of the mafia business so then we could take it over once our fathers were ready.