𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

SOFÍA CASTILLO

SOFÍA CASTILLO

The morning light streams through the window, causing me to curse under my breath as I slowly lift my eyes open. The pounding pain in my head begins to grow and the thud of my heart begins to increase as I take in my surroundings.

This was just another hangover I could cure with a little bit of water and food. I drag my body up from the thick silk sheets that cover my body. My hair is an untamed mess as the curls fall over my face and the length runs over my shoulders and back. I shake my head slowly, wincing as the headache starts to take form. My hands reach for my face, fingers brushing against my eyes and cheeks as I attempt to wake myself up.

Why did I drink so much? I curse myself again as I push the silk sheets off my legs and stand on the cold hardwood floor. I had a meeting after breakfast that I could not be late for.

My feet drag along the hardwood floor as I reach my bathroom and quickly get ready before heading to the closet and pulling on a simple white dress with faint plum colored flowers on the fabric. I pull on some white sandals, not wanting to bother with heels this early in the morning.

As I pull the last sandal over my foot, my eyes glance towards the clock near my bedside table and see that it's almost seven-thirty.

Valentina and the rest of the staff are up as I tune my ears into the sounds of the house and the garden. I can hear the banging of pots in the distance and someone mowing the lawn.

I grab my phone and pull my bedroom doors open, checking for any missed messages as I round the corner and make my way down the decadent stairs.

One text from Teresa thanking me for the help last night, another from Carmen asking if I got home safely and... none from James. I was beginning to worry last night and even attempted to call him but there was no answer.

With my busy day of meetings with my father, I wasn't too sure if I'd be able to answer my phone if James decided to reach out to me today. I mentally push the worst thoughts that are beginning to creep to my mind to the back and compartmentalize them for a later time. If he was really in danger, him or Sam would've reached out.

Now that we're business partners, our security and safety extends to the Barnes mafia. I would like to know that James would reach out if he needed our help.

As I reach the end of the staircase on the main floor, I can smell the delicious food the cooks have prepared. My feet patter against the clean hardwood floor and my gaze shifts quickly towards my father's office but the doors are sealed shut.

"Ven aquí, Sofí."

I follow Valentina's voice throughout the hallway until I see her fixing a painting on the wall near the dining room. I furrow my brows as she finalizes whatever she's doing with the painting until she turns her body towards me with a big smile.