forty-four | the last thing

THE LAST THING that any of them expected was to hear the sound of John B's van again

      THE LAST THING that any of them expected was to hear the sound of John B's van again. Add in the fact that John B was the one driving it and it was almost impossible to believe.

"Hold on. Am I dreaming?" JJ said.

"Guess, who's out of the clink, boy!" John B yelled.

"No freaking way, man!" Pope said. Carson ran forward and threw her arms around John B, letting out a loud laugh when he spun her around. Her laugh just became louder when the others threw their arms around them in one big group hug.

"My boy's out of the can!" JJ said.

"And we didn't even have to break you out," Carson joked.

"They dropped the charges," John B told them.

"They dropped the charges?" Pope repeated.

"That's phenomenal," Kiara commented.

"So, you're telling me Car and I did all that work for nothing?" JJ said.

"Oh, the most elaborate escape plan of all time?" Pope said sarcastically.

"Not all of us can be geniuses like you," Carson said. They started to joke around about JJ's plan when John B realized something.

"Wait, where's Sarah?" he asked. They looked around at each other in silence, not really quite sure how to answer that question. "Where's Sarah?"

"She went to go meet Wheezie last night," Kiara said. "She didn't come back."

"She probably just needs time to process everything," Carson offered. She had been so busy with JJ and trying to break John B out that she hadn't even realized that Sarah didn't come back. She had to hope that nothing had happened but she started to wonder if something had. She would feel terrible if something had happened to Sarah after what they'd been through recently. John B seemed to also still be wondering this, even after they moved down to the dock.

"So, Sarah just dips and doesn't call?" he said.

"Yeah, man. She just left her bag. Didn't tell anybody," Pope said.

"Okay, dude, I really think Ward got to her," John B said. "I mean, the dude tried to have me killed in jail."

"What?"

"Yeah. He sent somebody to the prison who yoked me up and almost killed me," he told them.

"That family is crazy," Carson said. She would accept Sarah as her sister but she was just going to try to pretend like she wasn't related to the rest of them.

"Dude, I swear to God, one day I'm gonna kill that son of a bitch," John B said.

"It's okay," Kiara said.

"No, Kie, it's not okay. We gotta find Sarah," he insisted.

"No, literally, it's okay. She's right there," Kiara said as she pointed to the boat coming towards them.