fifty-six | judgment

IT WAS A GOOD THING that they were stealthy

IT WAS A GOOD THING that they were stealthy. The last thing that they needed was to get caught as they snuck into the shipyard. With Pope having gone after Rafe in attempt to get the cross back and Sarah being taken, the stakes were way too high to make a stupid mistake. They had already faced too many setbacks and needed a win.

The three of them were huddled behind some shipyard material as they took in their surroundings to figure out the best approach. There was a giant ship in front of them that was being loaded with containers, which made Carson question why Rose took Sarah here in the first place. They had to be escaping the Outer Banks but the question was to where.

"Wait, the Coastal Venture. Dude, I know that ship," JJ realized. "My dad did legs on her last summer. It's a total tramp steamer. I worked on her in port."

"That's the cross. Right there, look," John B said. Rafe was standing around with a bunch of workers as the cross was being raised into the air to be placed on the ship.

"I'm really starting to get sick of him," Carson mumbled. Every time they had a problem, Rafe or Ward always seemed to be in the center of it. "And there's Sarah." She still looked pretty out of it as they pulled her to get onboard.

"We gotta come up with a plan," John B said.

"I know, I'm working on it," JJ said. "Maybe if we get over to that barge, then we go over, but then we're gonna have to get into the water though."

"That's fine."

"Then we're gonna be sitting ducks," he said.

"Howdy." They all jumped at the unexpected voice behind them. They hadn't even processed it was Kiara until they whipped around in fight mode.

"I was about to stab our eyes out," JJ said.

"You look scared as shit," she said with a laugh.

"How'd you guys even find us?" he asked.

"Geo-located your phone," she answered. Carson glanced over at Pope who looked a lot worse than he had when they last saw him. He was covered in mud with cuts and bruises.

"What happened to you?" Carson asked.

"Rafe, round three," he said simply.

"You freaking kidding me? Again?" JJ said.

"This was a tie," Pope said. "Is that the cross?"

"They're holding Sarah hostage," John B told them.

"We have to get on that boat," Kiara said.

"That's what we were just trying to come up with a plan for," Carson said. Pope seemed to have a plan as he told them to move forward and that he would catch up with them. No one decided to question it because they didn't really have time to and it was Pope. While he had been making questionable decisions lately, he was still the smart one of the group and he wanted this cross more than anyone which meant they had to trust his judgment.