seventy-one | only chance

NOW THAT THE CROSS was back in the picture, they didn't have too much time to waste

NOW THAT THE CROSS was back in the picture, they didn't have too much time to waste. With Rafe, they couldn't trust what he was going to do with it. If they wanted any kind of shot of trying to get it back in their possession, they had to think of something quick. It's why they all gathered, minus John B, to discuss their plan of action.

"When I went back to Tannyhill, Rafe was on the phone with Ward, and he just kept saying 'my thing, this is my thing'. He had to be talking about the cross," Sarah filled them in.

"Absolutely," Pope agreed.

"And he's coming into Wilmington tonight at 8 o'clock. It's being shipped by train to Raleigh from there, but this is our chance to get it back," Sarah said.

"Might be our only chance honestly," Carson pointed out. She glanced over at Pope, knowing it might not be what he wanted to hear but at least it was better than the fact that they didn't have any chance at all.

"You get any other information?" he asked.

"Sarah got the cargo number," Kiara said as she leaned forward to grab the paper with the number written on it.

"Okay, well, that's a start," he said.

"They're definitely fencing that shit off as we speak, so we should probably get a move on," JJ said.

"Sarah, you hear from John B?" Pope asked.

"No. I mean, he's probably off somewhere with his dad," she answered. "But the problem is they have the Twinkie."

"Our transportation."

"Anyone have any other ideas?" Carson questioned.

"I could ask Heyward for the truck," Pope said.

"Uh, what?" JJ said. After everything that had happened, that didn't sound like the easiest plan to go down. "Yeah, that's gonna go well."

"I know, but we have no other options," he said. Carson sighed as she jumped down from the railing ledge and placed her hand on Pope's shoulder.

"It's been nice knowing you, Pope."

As Pope went off to beg Heyward for his truck and Kiara went to try to explain the situation to her parents, Carson and JJ headed back to hers to see Penelope to do the same. Carson's mom was the most relaxed when it came to everything that they did, but she still deserved a heads up so she wasn't just wondering what was going on.

The sound of the blender could be heard as they entered the front door, indicating that she was in the kitchen. By the time they walked in the room, Penelope was pouring the white frozen liquid into a glass.

"Hey, Mom," Carson greeted her. Penelope glanced over her shoulder and a large smile formed on her face when she saw JJ closely behind.

"I knew you two wouldn't stay in that fight long," she said. "Piña Colada?"

"Absolutely not. I want nothing to do with anything related to coconuts ever again," Carson said, referring to the amount that they had when they were stuck on the island.

"I'll have one," JJ said happily. He went to reach for it but Carson grabbed his arm to stop him from taking the glass from her mom.

"JJ, the Cross?" Carson reminded him.

"Right," he said, retracting his hand.

"Oh, honey, I've taught you so well. Get them wrapped around your finger and they do everything you say," Penelope said with a smirk as she sipped her drink. Carson laughed at her remark, but JJ, not so much as he stood with a look of dissatisfaction. "Anyway, the Cross?"

"Rafe's back with the Cross, but it's gonna be in Wilmington," Carson explained.

"Which means we might be able to get it back," JJ added. Penelope nodded and took another sip of her drink before placing it down. She walked forward and grabbed one of each of their hands.

"As a mother, I'm required to tell you to be careful," she said. "But as a Pogue for life, go kick that little bastard's ass."