eighty-two | so hard to believe

AFTER THE GROUP rekindled and accepted each other once again, mistakes and all, there was only one logical thing for them to do

AFTER THE GROUP rekindled and accepted each other once again, mistakes and all, there was only one logical thing for them to do. They didn't have much to celebrate so the beers were more to bond before they headed to South America. They supposed that actually coming up with a new plan was enough to celebrate at least. Carson was happy to see John B and Sarah back together, despite the unfortunate circumstances that temporarily drove them apart, but she wasn't the one that had to forgive Sarah. She wasn't on her side about what she did but she clearly knew it should have never happened and seemed to genuinely regret her lapse of judgment.

"You look really pretty right now." Carson wasn't expecting to hear that come from JJ's mouth so randomly so she couldn't help but laugh. It was just the two of them on the couch now that everyone kind of wandered off to different areas of the house.

"Right now? Are you saying I don't look really pretty any other time?" she teased. He laughed and took a sip of his beer.

"You look really pretty all the time," he corrected.

"So, what's different about right now? Is it because I went along with your possibly all-time dumbest idea for us to help smuggle drugs just to catch a ride to South America?"

"Yep, that's exactly it," he said, going along with her joke before his voice then became a bit more serious. "But really, I know I don't make great decisions and I tend not to get us in the best of situations, but you're always there. I truthfully don't-" He stopped and turned his attention towards his hand that was gripping the beer can.

"Don't what?" she asked. It was clear he was unsure of himself, which was a fairly strange sight to see when he was usually confident and impulsive, but when it came to talking about his feelings he clammed up. It wasn't that he didn't trust her or feel comfortable with her, but JJ wasn't exactly known for being very open with his emotions. It was actually more like he didn't trust himself. Carson could tell he wasn't going to continue without some prompting, so she reached her hand over and intertwined it with the one not holding the can. "JJ. It's me."

"I know. And that's it. I just- I don't feel like I deserve you," he finally confessed.

"JJ, you already know I wouldn't choose anyone but you. It doesn't matter how much shit we get into, you will always be worth it to me," she said. That was just another thing that JJ loved about Carson, she knew exactly what to say to ease his racing mind. He placed his hand on her hip and pulled her over until she was sitting in his lap facing him. She was just about to lean down to kiss him when he stopped.

"What's that?" he said. She turned around and noticed smoke rising from outside the window.

"Is that fire?" she said. She climbed off and approached the window to get a better look, just to find the house was on fire. "We need to get out!" They each took off into a different direction to warn the others and escape before it was too late. Unfortunately, though, it was too late for the Chateau.

"Could've been a faulty electrical wire," Pope said. They were all sitting in defeat outside as they watched the remaining reminder of the Chateau burn to the ground.

"Place was all wood. A tinderbox," Kiara said.

"Thing just went up," Cleo said. "Boom."

"Verdict's in, bro. Whoever's up there does not like you," JJ said. Carson turned and shot JJ a hard stare, telling him his sarcasm was not what was needed at the moment. He clearly realized this to be true. "Sorry." Carson sighed and placed a reassuring hand on John B's shoulder before pushing herself to her feet, no longer able to watch the rest of the wood burn to nothing. The rest of them followed suit and they made their way out to the dock to figure out what to do next.

"Sarah, when did you say the pilot was getting in?" John B asked.

"Probably like an hour? I mean, once he's here, my dad says we can leave whenever we want," Sarah answered.

"Okay, well, as much as I would love to ghost my parents again, I can't," Pope said.

"Pope, we're talking El Dorado here. Can you just slip out the back maybe?" JJ said.

"Great advice," Kiara said.

"It always worked for me. How to avoid unpleasant circumstances 101," JJ said. "If there's a problem, you don't wanna face it, turn that face and keister around and walk the other way."

"I'm not doing that, okay?" Pope said.

"I just want you to be there, dog," JJ said.

"I'm gonna be there. I'll meet you guys at the airstrip in an hour."

"Yeah, we'll see you there," John B said.

"One hour, Pope. Not a second later," JJ told him. "I'm gonna take a stroll back to the shack. For old time's sake."

"I should probably stop by and let my mom know too," Carson said. "You know, just in case we die, she deserves to at least know where to find my body."

"Pleasant thought, Carson," Kiara commented.

"Yeah, well, you know, we almost just burned in the Chateau, so is it so hard to believe that South America might not go exactly to plan?" she said.

"I always wanted to go to South America. Great surf, cheap weed," JJ said.

"Sadly I don't think we're going to experience either of those things on our trip, but one can dream," Carson joked. "See ya soon, John B."