15

I wake up the next morning feeling awful. I always thought I'd be somewhat happy seeing my parents again, but this morning I feel the complete opposite. If I knew this is how they would act when they seen me, I would have wished to never see them again.

I decide to text Rafe right away to let him know I'm okay.

Me: Good morning

Rafe: How are you?

Me: Fine. I'll see you soon

Rafe: Let me know if you need anything

I lay my phone back down and get up to gather my clothes to bring to the bathroom. I choose a pair of black ripped shorts and a stripped tank top.

I sneak out of the bedroom and run across the hall and shut the door behind me. I jump in the shower and enjoy the hot water before my mom bangs on the door.

"Cassie, hurry please!" She shouts.

"This is my bathroom" I reply. "Go outside"

"Outside! I'm not a wild animal."

I roll my eyes and take my time, washing all over my body twice just to piss her off.

I wrap my hair in a towel and walk out of the bathroom. Mom shots past me into the bathroom and I put my dirty clothes in the hamper before greeting my dad in the kitchen.

"Good morning." He says.

"Not a good one." I mutter.

"Cassie, you have to stop acting hostile toward us. It's not fair." Dad says.

"Dad don't even talk to me about fair. Why are you guys still here, I told you I'm not coming with you and I really don't want you here either."

"We want to see you, catch up, we want to try and convince you to move with us."

"If you wanted to see me you wouldn't have left me. If you wanted to catch up you could have called. I'm not moving, I refuse."

"You don't understand." He says shaking his head.

"You didn't want me then, why do you want me now? I'm no different, maybe a little worse."

"We want you because you're our child."

"You're the one who doesn't understand. YOU left ME. I don't want to be with you and mom and you don't want to be with me either."

"Things have changed, we have changed Cassie, and it's all been for you."

"No, it's all for you, always have been and always will be. I'm not apart of this family. I have my own now."

"Those boys aren't your family."

"They've been more of a family than you guys." I say.

He sighs and paces back and forth.

"I've been waiting for the day I seen you guys again, but this is not how I pictured it. I have plans for today so you can either leave Outer Banks, or at least leave this house. I don't care where you go, I just don't want to see you when I get home."

With that, I walk out the door and start riding my bike to Rafe's place. I still can't believe that they are here right now. I'm glad they did come, but only because I know now that I'll be fine if I never see them again.

When I get to Sarah's, I stop before going up the driveway to make sure nobody is outside. Rafe usually sneaks me into the house like we are fifteen years old, but he's still not one hundred percent comfortable with everybody knowing yet.

I cruise up the driveway and chuck my bike behind some trees. I open the front door quietly and shut it behind me without making a sound. I run upstairs and into Rafe's room without anybody seeing me.

"Cassie." Rafe says and stands up.

"Hi." I smile.

"What happened? I've been texting you." He says.

"I left my phone home, I came over as soon as I got up and ready."

"Are your parents gone?"

"No, but I told them I didn't want to see them at the house when I get home."

"So they hate me already hey." Rafe says and I laugh.

"Apparently so, but I wouldn't worry. This is probably the last time you'll ever see them." I sigh.

"I'm just glad you're still here." He says and I smile. Seeing the soft side of Rafe is definitely something very new to me, he still has his moments but when we are alone he's a very different person.

***

We spend the rest of the afternoon laying around in his room. We may or may not have messed around a couple times but the day sure flew by quickly.

"I should go home. I'm anxious to see if they are still there." I say.

"I can drive you." He offers.

"That's okay, I came on my bike." I say and he nods. "I guess I'll see you soon."

He grabs my neck and pulls me in for a kiss. I smirk when he lets go and I leave the house. One minute Rafe is so gentle, then the next I wonder if he's going to choke me out or not.

I ride all the way home, heart racing at the thought of my parents still being at my house. I feel somewhat bad for yelling at them so much but do they really deserve anything different?

I drop my bike down by the deck and walk inside. The house is dead empty. I look around and everything feels so different, even though everything is the same. I see a note on the kitchen table that reads:

Cassie,

We are so sorry for leaving you again, but we understand that it's what you wanted. We want you to know that we still love you so much, and we are proud of the strong person you've become. If you ever want to reach out or visit, our number and address is on the back. I hope we can see each other again soon. We love you xx

Mom and dad

I re-read the note a couple times before sticking it on the fridge. I don't feel that I'd ever need it but who knows what will happen in the future. I guess it wouldn't hurt to give them a call every now and then.

I go in my bedroom to check my phone since I left it here all day.

Rafe: Are you coming over now?

Rafe: How did everything go last night?

Rafe: Are you okay? Do you need me to come over

Rafe: I'm gonna kill them if they did anything to you Cassie answer me

John b: Morning, picking u up at 9

Oh shit. I totally forgot that I was supposed to go on boat with the guys and Kie today. We had this day planned for a long time, they are probably so pissed.

Kie: Where are you? Somebody just left the place when we showed up

Kie: Are you with Rafe?

Kie: Hello???

Crap.