36.

KIES POV... still in the past

Cassie, JJ, Pope, John B, Sarah and I all sit around Sarah's living room.

Everyone is talking amongst themselves but all I can think about it Rafe and how much longer it's going to take until he walks through the door. We haven't hung out in a few days and I suspect it's because he's moved on to somebody else. Thinking about that breaks my heart because I think I'm starting to gain feelings for him.

I try telling myself it's for the best if Rafe and I don't get together, mostly because my friends would definitely not approve, as well as everyone else in Outer Banks.

I immediately turn around when I hear footsteps coming down the hallway. I can hear loud breathing so I know it's Rafe. He walks in the living room, not making eye contact with anyone. He crosses by, flicking his hair back.

"Of course, just as I was about to get a drink." Cassie mumbles and follows Rafe with a stern eye.

"Just ignore him. He probably won't notice you anyway." Sarah says.

Cassie sighs and pushes herself off the couch. I watch her mope into the kitchen. I bite on my fingernail debating whether I should go in there behind her.

Rafe and Cassie have a very questionable relationship. One minute they are down each other's throat and the next they are practically flirting with each other, even though neither of them will admit it.

"Anyone else want a drink?" I ask.

Everybody shakes their head no, so I go to the kitchen alone.

I take a deep breath before reaching the corner, but I stop when I hear them talking.

"Rafe you're disgusting." Cassie says.

"How?"

"I can see you staring at my ass. You're horrible at hiding it." She says.

"Come on Cassie. You know I can't resist." Rafe chuckles.

"Shut up idiot." She says.

"Stop drinking all my juice, jesus." He huffs.

"Stop being so annoying. I'll drink what I want."

It's quiet for a minute, making me wonder if I should interrupt before more words I don't want to hear come out.

"Don't you have anything better to do than raid my kitchen?" Rafe asks.

"Don't you have some girls to bang?" Cassie says.

"Nope." Rafe says. "Not at the moment."

"Oh god, how are you still managing to live?"

"Nothing good around. Got to find somebody else."

"Don't look at me like that. Never happening."

"Didn't say I wanted it to. You're not exactly my type."

"Type huh? I thought you just fucked anyone in sight."

"Depends on the day."

"You're so gross."

"You're just jealous."

"Jealous, of what?"

Things are silent for a minute until I hear Cassie pretend to throw up, or at least I think she's pretending. Rafe must have whispered or acted something out.

"Rafe please, you know I'm way too good for you."

"We'll see." He says. I hear footsteps coming toward me so I turn around and walk back a little ways and pretend that I'm just walking toward the kitchen.

Rafe walks past me without even making eye contact. I stop and furrow my eyebrows. Why is he acting so dull around me?

I walk in the kitchen to see Cassie putting the orange juice back in the fridge.

"Want some?" Cassie asks, taking the jug out again.

"No. I'm good." I say.

I lean against the countertop and cross my arms. I watch Cassie strut around the kitchen, she's gorgeous and she knows it. All the reason why I don't want her and Rafe to be alone together, I just know Rafe will make a move on her someday.

"What did Rafe have to say?" I ask.

"Nothing. He was just being stupid." Cassie shakes her head and huffs. "He's so full of himself it's so disgusting"

"Yeah." I nod.

"What's wrong?" Cassie asks.

"Oh nothing. I have to go to the bathroom." I lie.

I escape the kitchen and try my best to sneak upstairs to Rafe's room.

I knock on the door quietly and I hear a mumble. I open the door slowly to see Rafe standing back on from me, looking down at something in his hand. He slides his phone in his pocket and turns around. His face almost drops when he sees that it's me.

"Hi." I say.

"Hi."

"I just wanted to talk about something, is that okay?"

He nods his head slightly, avoiding eye contact.

"Is there something going on between you and Cassie?" I ask.

"Cassie?" He furrows his eyebrows.

"Yes, Cassie. My best friend, the girl you supposedly hate. You were just downstairs with her."

"I know who Cassie is. If you know I hate her then why did you ask that?"

"Because you two are weird. You act like you hate each other but you flirt with each other all the time."

"Flirt? No."

"I overheard you guys in the kitchen. She said you were sizing her up."

"That's not flirting."

"So you were sizing her up?"

"Maybe, maybe not." He says and I sigh. He's so difficult to talk to.

"Listen. I can't keep doing this if you are flirting and messing around with other girls. I'm already starting to get my feelings hurt."

"I never told you I was going to stop flirting with other girls. This was your idea, remember?"

"I know but I didn't think you would see other people if you were satisfied with me."

"Who said I was satisfied?"

"Rafe, you're such a jerk." I say. My heart sinks and I want to leave but my feet stay planted on the floor.

"Look Kie, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or anything, I just thought you knew what you were getting yourself into."

"I did I guess but then I started to catch feelings and now I'm a little hurt but that's okay, I can get over it."

"Best if you do that now." He says.

He starts walking toward me and I get excited, thinking I will get one last kiss but no.

"The door is behind you, standing in my room won't help you get over me." He says.

I inhale deeply before exiting the room. He closes the door behind me and I lean against the wall.

It was a fun time but I should have known how it was going to end. I just hope he doesn't make a move on Cassie, it'll ruin me all together.