12

After I got home from arguing with Rafe, Kie knew immediately that I was upset. She invited the gang over tonight for a fire to get my mind off things.

We all sit around the pit outside having a few drinks. I sit between Kie and JJ, trying to have a good time but all I can think about is my earlier conversation with Rafe.

"Who's pulling up?" Pope asks and we all turn around to look down the driveway.

"I think that's Rafe's rover." Sarah says. I sigh quietly.

"What's he doing here?" JJ says standing up.

"Relax JJ, I'll handle him." I say and walk away from the fire.

I wrap my sweater tighter around my body as I walk to the vehicle. The rover shuts off and the door opens. Rafe steps out and leans against the door.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"Wanted to talk." He says and I shake my head.

"About?"

"What I said earlier."

"You didn't need to come back and tell me again that you don't like me. I understand." I huff.

"That's not what I was going to say." He rolls his eyes.

"Start talking then."

"Fuck you're so bitchy." He huffs.

I stay quiet. I don't want to talk anymore, I said what I have to say, I just want to hear what he has to say.

"Can we sit inside? They are all staring at us." He says and I nod. I walk to the other side of the vehicle and get in.

"Look, I'm sorry for what I said earlier. I was just a little frustrated." He says.

"I know you were but there's no need to take it out on me."

"I know, that's why I said I'm sorry." He says and I roll my eyes.

"It's not that I don't want to be seen with you, I just hate how people talk about you when you're with me." He says.

"So you don't care about what people say about you then?"

"Well a little bit but it's the same for you. Your pogue friends would say the same thing to you about being with me, but you'd do what you could to defend me yeah?"

"Well yeah because you're not a bad person, not to me anyway. But you didn't do anything to defend me, you just freaked out and left me alone."

"I'm just not used to it yet, I wanted to beat the living hell out of that guy but it's just not worth it, you know?"

"I guess." I shrug.

We sit in silence for a few minutes. I see that JJ and Pope are still looking at us in the truck. They are so overprotective.

"Is that all you wanted to say?" I ask.

He stays silent but looks at me now instead of the marsh. His eyes are soft now, looking lost for words.

"Rafe?"

"It's true." He almost whispers.

"What is?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"I think I do." He says.

"Rafe I don't get it. Speak normally." I say starting to get a little frustrated.

"Fuck Cassie I think I like you." He almost shouts.

I look at him with a slight smile. My heart flutters, I can't believe those words just came out of his mouth, even if he yelled them.

"Say something." He mutters and I chuckle.

"I like you too." I say.

"I know." He says and I roll my eyes.

"So what does this mean?" I ask.

"Nothing." He says. "For right now anyway, okay."

"Okay..." I say.

"I want to be with you all the time, but can we keep this to ourselves for a little bit. I need to get my shit figured out."

"Okay." I nod.

He smiles, leans over the console and plants a kiss on my lips. I smile and look down.

"I should get going before your friends come over and try to beat me up." Rafe says and I giggle.

"Okay, see you later." I say and hop out of the rover.

"See you around baby." He says just as I go to shut the door.

I walk down the driveway with the biggest smile on my face, but quickly hide it when I reach the group again.

"What was that about?" JJ asks.

"I left something at your house Sarah, he was just out and wanted to drop it off." I shrug.

"Okay then." Pope says and I give Kie a small smile, but she doesn't return one.

The night continues on like usual, except I'm much happier now. Nobody brings up Rafe again which I'm glad for, I don't want them to be suspicious of anything, they will freak out.

***

After a few more hours of drinking, everybody finally decides to go home. I have been dying to tell Kie everything, even though I don't think she's very happy.

"I have something very weird to tell you." I say as soon as we walk into the house.

"What is it?" She asks.

"Rafe told me that he liked me."

"Why do I find that hard to believe." She says.

"It's true."

"Rafe Cameron have never told anybody that he liked them even in the slightest"

"Kie I'm telling you he did."

"So what are you dating now?"

"Well no. He told me to not to say anything until he figures some things out."

"So he likes you but no one is allowed to know, how is that supposed to work?"

"I don't know and I don't really care right now." I shrug. I'm just happy he finally admitted it.

I think deep down we both really liked each other but didn't know how to act on it, therefore arguing all the time was just easier for us to hide what we were really feeling.

"Kie, don't tell anyone okay."

"I won't." She says and I smile.

Life just got interesting.

***

AUTHORS NOTE: I know Rafe was very soft in this chapter but you will see the real side of him soon!!