26

"Rafe, where are we going?" I ask when we pass the Outer Banks sign.

"Secret." He says.

I huff and cross my arms. I'm not good with surprises, I want to know everything right away.

"What if that guy didn't actually leave?" I ask.

"You know I'm going to protect you, don't worry about him." Rafe says.

"I can't believe they sent some stranger here to bring me to them. I thought I made it clear that I didn't want to see them." I say.

"Yeah that's pretty extreme." Rafe says.

I lean my head against the window and look out the window. We sit in silence for a long time until I realize where we are going.

"Why are we in Charleston?" I ask.

"To go to a store." He says.

"We came all this way just to go to a store?" I say.

"Yes."

"What store?"

"You have to wait." He says.

I try to think back to our weekend in Charleston. I don't remember passing by a store and wanting something. Rafe bought me so much so I don't know why he brought me here.

We drive down the busy road, passing all of the stores slowly. Rafe pulls over on the side of the road outside of a boutique.

"A dress shop? What are we doing here?" I ask.

"To buy you a dress." He says.

"A dress? Why?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"Midsummers is in two days, you need a dress."

"And why do I need a dress? Why are you so sure that I'm even going?"

"Because you're coming with me." He says and gets out of the truck.

I smile to myself and wait for Rafe to come around and open the door for me. I honestly wasn't expecting Rafe to ask, or in this case, tell me that I have to go with him.

"Rafe you don't have to buy me a dress." I say.

"Yes I do. Now come on." He says and drags me into the store.

When I walk in I look around in awe. I have never been inside an all dress shop, I haven't even worn a dress like this before.

"See anything you like?" Rafe asks.

"Yes, all of them." I say and he chuckles.

"Try some on." He says.

"I don't want you to see it though." I say.

"Why?"

"Because. I'll try these on." I say and grab them off the rack.

Before Rafe can get in I close the dressing room door and lock it. First I try on a green silk dress, something like Kie wore last year. The color is nice but it doesn't compliment my body like I wanted it to.

"Rafe what color suit are you wearing?" I ask.

"Just black." He says. "Can I see?"

"No." I say and I hear him sigh. I hold in my giggle and try on another couple dresses.

Nothing is fitting the way I want it to. I'm starting to get a little disappointed, I want to look good for Rafe and I want to actually feel good about myself.

"Rafe none of these are working." I huff.

"Can I pick something out?" He asks.

"Go ahead." I say.

I sit on the bench and wait for Rafe. I'm feeling something I haven't felt in a while right now, and to be honest, I can't believe Rafe is the one causing this feeling. I've never felt so special by somebody other than my friends before, it's so nice to let someone else in.

"Here." Rafe says. The throws the dress over the top of the door and I pull it down. It's a beautiful red dress with a slit in the leg.

I pull the dress up over my body and instantly feel like a princess. The dress fits tight in all the right places. The only thing throwing me off is the slit because it's a little high up.

"Are you sure this is appropriate?" I ask.

"Yes." Rafe says.

I shake my head.

"I don't know Rafe, it's a little slutty looking."

"There's no problem with that. If you like it then you're getting it."

"I do like it, I love it actually." I say.

"Good." He says.

I admire myself for another minute before taking the dress off again. I'm a little worried that people will think I'm a whore, but they are already going to talk about me because I'm a pogue so I may as well go all out and give them something even more wonderful to talk about.

Once I get dressed and walk out with the dress, Rafe takes it from me and heads toward the front desk.

"Find everything okay?" The lady says from behind the counter.

"Yes, thank you." I smile.

She scans the tag on the dress and zips the bag back up.

"That'll be 269.99" She says and my eyes widen.

Rafe hauls out three hundred dollars cash and hands it to the women. She hands him back his change and he shoves it down in his pocket.

"Have a lovely evening you two." She smiles.

"You too." I say.

Rafe grabs the bag and we leave the store. He lays it down across the back seat and hops in the drivers seat.

"Are you hungry?" He asks.

"I could eat." I shrug.

"Okay. We will get something before we head back." He says and I nod. He starts the truck and starts driving further down the road.

"I can't believe you spent that much on that dress. You really didn't have to. I will pay you back." I say.

"No you won't. I wanted to buy it for you." He says.

"Thank you." I smile.

I roll the window down and let the breeze rush into the truck. I close my eyes and enjoy the moment. I'm still amazed that Rafe did all this for me. Its something I never expected Rafe would do for a girl, especially me.

People says he's not romantic but he is, just in his own way, and I'm so lucky to have him.