topper | overprotective

My relationship with my boyfriend, Topper, was quite difficult. I was a Pogue, he was a Kook, and because of the difference in people we hung around with, he was constantly checking on me and making sure I wasn't doing anything with any of the other Pogues. Some would say it was toxic, but I'd just call it being protective of me. It got a bit excessive sometimes though.

"I'm going out, I'll be back later okay baby?" I said, walking over to Topper and kissing him on the cheek.

"Where you going?" he asked.

"Just seeing some friends." I shrugged.

"Okay, text me?"

"I will, don't worry." I chuckled, leaving his house.

**********

I arrived at the Château soon after, and checked my phone to see 5 unread texts from Topper already. I scanned through to make sure none of them were super important, and sent back a heart to let him know I was all good.

"Aye, Y/n. You made it!" JJ cheered, coming over to me and giving me a hug.

"I missed you!" I said, smiling.

JJ was my cousin, and I was really close with him. We had been inseparable since we were toddlers, and the funny thing was, we never ever got bored of each other. Sure, we had arguments, but we always made up and would
laugh about it later on.

"I missed you too! Come inside and say hi to everyone." he chuckled, leading me towards the cabin.

There everyone was, John B, Pope and Kie, all sitting on the hammocks or couches on the deck.

"Y/n you're here!" said Pope.

"We didn't think Topper was gonna let you." John B teased. Kie slapped him on the arm.

"Haha, no it's okay Kie, John's kinda right, he barely let me go." I laughed.

"Does that not make you feel weird?" Kie asked.

"Not really, it just means he cares right?" I replied.

"Sure maybe, it just sounds like he's being overprotective." Pope added.

I checked my phone again. 7 more unread texts.

"Come on, let's go surfing, get your mind off of it all." John B suggested.

"Dude have you looked outside?" JJ stopped him.

We all glanced over to see a storm forming in the distance.

"Oh shit." John responded.

"We could still go? It's not here yet." I tried to say, before JJ stood up, probably to lecture me.

"You're kidding me right? I know you don't like me telling you what you can and can't do but you could literally get killed if you tried to surf in that." JJ pointed out.

There was the lecture.

"Fine okay, well what should we do instead?" I asked.

"No no, I'll take her," John B said, "She's right, it's pretty far away. And I'll keep her safe?"

JJ was still really unsure, and the two of them argued for a little about if it was the right decision or not.

I was one year younger than all of them, and they definitely didn't let me forget it.

They finally came to a compromise.

"Okay go. But don't stay out for too long, the storm is getting closer after all." JJ sighed.