topper | we all have a thing for her [ 4/5 ]

{ i know lots of people skip to the character/s they like the most (i literally do it aswell) but for this little series it kinda doesn't make sense if you don't see the others because they all link, but if you don't wanna do that, i get it, it just might be a bit confusing! thank you! }

—————
continued from wednesday...

"You wanted to see me?" I questioned, "Why?"

"I... found this." Topper replied, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a necklace. It had a silver chain and a pendant on it, which was a little infinity symbol with a crystal in each loop.

"It's a beautiful necklace... but who's is it?Where did you get it from?" I interrogated.

"Do you not remember?"

"Wait what..?"

It all started to come back to me. There was a point in my life when Topper was my best friend. It was when we were kids, like 8 years old, and we used to go everywhere and do everything together, before it mattered how much money you had, or whether you were a Kook or a Pogue. There was one specific day where our parents took us to the mall to go shopping, and we were so excited to explore and buy whatever we wanted. We went over to one jewellery store and I saw that necklace in the window. I told him I loved it because I felt like the crystals represented us, and our forever bond (even though that's not how it turned out). Every time we'd go to the mall and pass that store, the necklace in the window would always catch my eye, and I reminded him about how much I loved it every time we went by. Well, until he met Rafe Cameron, and that's when we drifted apart.

But even after all those years, there he was, standing in front of me, with the necklace I had literally dreamed to have.

"Oh my god. No you didn't..." I said, almost speechless.

"I did. I was visiting my grandparents who lived near that mall and happened to pass it. I figured, since I have the money now, I'd surprise you and buy it." he answered.

"I can't believe you remembered after all this time," I breathed, "Thank you so much, but why did you do this? It's not like we really talk much anymore."

"I was kinda hoping this would bring us together again?" he suggested.

"Yeah okay, do you wanna maybe go have some lunch tomorrow?" I asked.

"That would be great. I'll see you then."

"Bye!"

—————
thursday

As usual, I woke up late, and literally had half an hour to get ready and go meet Topper for lunch. We were going to a cafe in Figure Eight, and I was kinda worried it was gonna be all 'upper class'. I wore a baby blue dress that came up mid-thigh, put on the necklace, and left the house as quick as I could.

"Thought you weren't gonna turn up." Topper chuckled, as I walked towards him.

"I woke up late, I'm sorry."

"It's okay, come on, let's go in."

We went inside the cafe, and luckily for me, it wasn't filled with too many Kooks. There's no way you'd ever find someone from my side of the island there, and as much as everyone sitting down tried to hide it, I could tell they were all judging me for being here.

"Ignore them." Topper said, as we walked towards an empty table in the corner, "They're just being arrogant."

I nodded as I sat down. We ordered drinks and started talking.

"I've missed this." he smiled.

"Me too, it's a shame it's all different now."

"Well, we're still friends right?"

"I mean sure, but are you okay with me being a Pogue and stuff?" I chuckled, "I know how much it disgusts you."

"Don't get me wrong, I would've loved it if you decided to live the Kook lifestyle, but only so we'd have more time together. I think it's cool how you decide your own friend groups and don't get forced by your parents to do what they want." he admitted.

"You actually want to have more time together?What about your bestie Rafe? Are you still gonna ditch me for him again?" I smirked.

"Y/n, that was like 2 years ago. And besides, I thought you were all okay with Rafe now?"

"Well I'm not sure, I don't talk to him."

"Well then how are you allowed to judge?" he laughed.

"There's just something about him... I don't know, he stole you from me and that's always gonna be how I remember him." I shrugged, hiding the truth.

"Fair enough, but I was actually gonna ask you..." he paused to take a sip of his drink, "We're having a boat party tomorrow. Do you wanna come?"

"Who's gonna be there?"

"Well, me and my friends. I guess you could bring yours, but only because I really want you to come."

"You really want me to come? Why do you seem so desperate about that?" I giggled.

"I'm not lying when I say I missed you, it's just everything about you I-"

"Okay I have to stop you there because it's starting to sound more than friends-like. Am I right?" I asked.

"Maybe. Well, I saw you in town the other day and I didn't wanna seem weird and come over to say hello since we hadn't talked for years, so I found that necklace and that was a good enough excuse to come and see you." he admitted.

"That's really nice of you, but I've kinda got a boyfriend now." I mumbled.

"A boyfriend? Do I know him?" he questioned.

"Uh yeah, it's JJ."

"Oh. Well that sucks for me," he weakly laughed, "Still come to the party though? I mean if nothing romantic can happen between us, I still wanna be your friend."

"Okay, sounds good. Thank you for having lunch with me, it's been really nice to see you again." I smiled, picking up my bag and getting up.

He got up too and gave me a hug.

"You too. I'll see you tomorrow okay?"

"Definitely." I said, as we said goodbye and went separate ways.

I was honestly pretty scared for the party. I knew Rafe was gonna be there, and as much as I disliked him, there was no denying that he was attractive. He was also strangely confident, and I was worried that he was automatically gonna start being a dickhead to me because of what had happened a couple years ago. But I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

____________________
AUTHORS NOTE

oh damn what's gonna happen at the party?

i also can't believe this story has 2K reads now, like i'm over here doing a 1K special and we've already got another thousand, i'm actually gonna cry hahah

thank you everyone so much! <3

____________________