I love it when you smile

Authors note- I'm laughing at how many chapters I'm getting done- I've currently got Covid so being on my own in my room all day has its advantages.

The teens all headed home after finding the water at the Crain house, John B back to Tannyhill, pope back to his house and kie back to Kies house, and JJ and Riley back to John Bs. Riley couldn't help but worry about what her future held. If John B lived at Tannyhill permanently, what would happen to her. Would she be evicted for John Bs? If she did where would she go then? She sat on the sofa smoking a spliff whilst these thoughts ran round her brain, she didn't even notice JJ coming and sitting next to her.

"What you thinking about?" He asked her as he took the spliff out of her hand and had a drag himself.

"Just the future" she smiled at the boy, reaching for the spliff before he pulled it further away from her, she elbowed him and he smiled, giving it her back.

"What about the future?" He asked her.

"What do you thinks gonna happen? If we don't find the gold and John B stays at Tannyhill I mean? Do you think I'll get evicted and put in foster care?" She asked JJ, fear in her eyes.

"No because we're gonna find the gold Riley. And if we don't then Kies or popes and if neither of them can take you in for whatever reason, I'll find a job and I'll work so god damn hard that I'll buy you a house. Buy us a house" he corrected himself.

Riley smiled at the idea.

"I love it when you smile" he told the girl. She smiled again and curled up in his arms, taking in his scent of weed, aftershave and beer. It was a weird combination that not many would like but she loved it. It smelt like home.

"Hey ry?" He asked the girl who was now getting sleepy on his chest.

"Yeah?" She responded

"I saw the burns on your arm. It's okay, you don't have to say anything, I just want you to know I'm here if you wanna talk about it" he told the girl as he stroked her hair.

"Thank you JJ but I'm okay" she told the boy, as she fiddled with the hem of his shirt.

"Hey Riley?" He asked her again

"Yeah?" She responded

"Never mind" he smiled, and Riley nodded and fell asleep.

What Riley didn't know was that in that moment JJ was gonna ask her to be his girlfriend, but In a moment of panic he didn't. He worried he wasn't good enough for her. He worried that even though they loved each other, it would ruin what they had as friends. He worried he couldn't provide for her the life she deserved, because she deserved everything.

* * *

The next day the group agreed to meet up at John Bs. Riley woke up in the same position she fell asleep, in JJs lap, and JJs head was leaning hers, he must have fallen asleep too.

"JJ?" Riley whispered to the boy, stroking his hair gently to wake him up.

The boy slowly lifted his head and kissed Riley on her head in the process.

"Morning sleepyhead" she smiled at JJ, who gave her a sleepy smile back.

The two got off the sofa and got ready for the day. Riley showered, and left her hair down and natural with a bandana in it, and wore some white fabric shorts, with a light blue bikini top.

JJ and Riley sat outside on the deck drinking and smoking until JJ finally spoke.

"Hey I gotta go and pick pope up, I'll be back soon okay?" He told the girl, walking over and kissing her cheek before getting on his bike and driving off.