5: "𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚜 𝚔𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚢𝚘𝚞."

The next day, the sun was out, occasionally hiding beneath the fluffy, white clouds that laid in the blue sky. The sound of seagulls could be heard as the group of five found themselves at the Chateau, sitting together silently in the backyard. Kiara, Pope, Y/n and JJ all decided to visit John B after the hectic night they literally just hours before.

The Routledge boy held a black eye, way worse than what Topper probably had. All of the four friends felt bad, wishing they could've done something before hand so no fight would've happened, and so JJ wouldn't have pulled the trigger on the gun that he still, currently, has, most likely in his pocket.

"Look, I'm calling it off. Alright?" John B blurts out. "Peterkin said, if I stay out of the marsh, she'll help me with DCS."

"And you believed her?" JJ questions.

John B nods. "Yes, I believe her, JJ."

"An actual cop, John B. You believed a cop." JJ states with disbelief laced in his tone of voice.

"All I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple days, and she'll help me out. And it doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun." John B snaps.

JJ shakes his head. "You know what I should've done, man? I should've just let Topper drown your ass."

"Topper was gonna drown me?" John B asks, raising a brow.

"Sure looked like it. I mean, have you looked in the mirror?" JJ observes, referring to the bruise on his face.

John B rolls his eyes. "Tell me some more. Come on."

"They always win, don't they, man?" JJ murmurs. "Kooks versus Pogues. They always, always win!"

"Look, it's okay!" Kie speaks up.

"No, it's not okay! It is not! They don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there, and you know it, man. I know you do." JJ informs, pointing to John B before looking at the siblings. "And I understand why you two don't wanna go. You're the golden boy and girl. You both got way too much to risk."

Exchanging a glance, the twins simply nod in response as they continue to listen to him.

"And you..." JJ begins, looking at Kie. "I mean, you're already rich as fuck anyway. Why would you bother?"

The Carrera girl only rolls her eyes in reply, not liking how that's the first thing he thought of.

JJ looks back at the brunette. "But you and me, man, we got nothing to lose! We really don't, alright? And I know it didn't use to be that way for you."

"I don't wanna talk about it." John B mumbles, shaking his head.

"So that's it?" JJ questions.

John B shoves the blonde to the side. "Just get out of my way, bro."

"John B, listen to me. I have a plan." JJ announces, following him. "You got the key to Cameron's big boat, right?"

John B sighs. "No, JJ."

"There's scuba gear inside there. We borrow that, and then we go down to the wreck this afternoon, and that is what's gonna save you, man." JJ continues, ignoring his displeasure. "You don't see rich kids going into foster care, do you?"

***

In the end, John B had gone with his best friend's plan, sneaking onto Ward Cameron's boat and stealing the scuba gear. Late in the afternoon, the five teenagers found themselves sitting in the HMS Pogue, their bathing suits on as they checked the tanks.