32: "𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚍𝚒𝚍𝚗'𝚝 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚒𝚝, 𝚖𝚘𝚖."

The sirens were loud, one part of the island full of officers and civilians that lived on the island, all accusing John B of murdering their sheriff as they tried to get a closer look to see if the police had found him yet. The sun was down, the moon hiding behind the dark clouds as the wind continued to pick up every second or so. The group of four had been shoved into the back of a police car, being led to a place where many tents laid out before being led inside one tent full of officers, seating themselves down in a few chairs that were laid out on the side of the tent.

"Sit down. Don't move. We got a lot to talk about." Shoupe informs the teenagers in a firm tone. "Keep an eye on these kids."

With that, the officer steps away from the Pogues and towards a long table where many police officers sat, some not even from the island as computers laid in front of them as they tried to track down John B Routledge. In front of the teenagers, an officer stood with a blank expression, a gun laying in his hands in case of anything.

"Blockade is up at the marsh and Masonboro and all other inlets from Shem Creek to Breach Inlet. I want eyes on all coastal access points, people." A man orders. "Let's get this guy."

Y/n had her hands rested on her thighs, just slightly in-between her thighs and knees as one of her legs bounced up and down, hoping that John B had gotten far away so the cops wouldn't find him at all. The Heyward girl sat in-between JJ and Kiara, them and Pope also waiting anxiously for any news, hoping the cops wouldn't spot John B as they also hoped Sarah was okay as, for as far as they knew, she wasn't able to say goodbye to her boyfriend before he would escape.

What caught the groups attention was the loud shouting of deep voices outside the tent, the few words of 'that's them' or 'we found them' or 'there they are' being heard throughout the rough wind and the loud chatter of other people and even the sirens. With slightly wide eyes, the teenagers all glance at one another as they heard someone say that both John B and Sarah were spotted on the Phantom in the middle of the rough waves.

Soon enough, after a couple minutes, Shoupe was entering the tent with Deputy Plumb and Deputy Thomas trailing behind him. All the officers held jackets over their uniforms as they took off the hoods, water dripping from them all from the pouring rain outside of the tent. The teenagers rise to their feet, walking over to the the police as they waited to hear the news.

"Did you find them?" Pope questions.

Shoupe shakes his head. "No."

"So, they got away?" Kie asks, more like a conclusion as hope was filled in her tone of voice.

"We, uh..." Shoupe begins as he glances between them, gulping. "We lost them. I'm sorry."

"You lost them? What do you mean you lost them? Like, they're gone? What are you talking about?" Y/n frantically questions, wondering what happened to their friends.

"They took an open boat into a tropical depression, Y/n." Shoupe states.

"So, they're dead?" Kie asks, voice cracking.

"We don't know." Shoupe admits.

At the sudden news that hit all their broken hearts, the four teenagers felt tears fill their eyes, neither of the teenagers wanting to believe that John B and Sarah are dead all because of Ward Cameron who should be in jail by now.

"You drove them straight through the storm, man! Are you kidding me?" JJ exclaims out in anger. "Come here! I'm gonna kill you, you bastard!"

All of a sudden, the Maybank boy was lunging right at Shoupe, going to wrap his hands around his neck. However, just as the blonde had gotten his hands on the older cop, Deputy Thomas had been quick enough to grab ahold of him and pull him back while loud shouting could be heard throughout the tent, adding to the rough patter of rain. Y/n and Pope were yelling at Shoupe while Kie was yelling at JJ to stop, the twins telling the deputy that their friend was innocent and they led him to his death.

Eventually, JJ had calmed down from his rage which let Deputy Thomas release him, looking hesitant as he didn't know if the blonde was gonna try and lunge at his coworker again. Both Kie and Y/n were sobbing, the Heyward girl standing there in slight shock as she was still trying to process the news of John B and Sarah's death. Pope and Y/n and Kiara's parents were suddenly rushing into the tent, jackets over them as they had been running in the rain.

Looking over to where her parents were, Kie met her mother's eyes, both of them walking towards one another until they met halfway in a hug. Anna held her daughter tightly while the girl's father, Mike, joined them soon after, wrapping his arms around his daughter and wife as they shared a hug together, both of them hearing their daughter sob against them at the loss of her best friends.

The Heyward twins were still standing in the same spots they had been in as they watched their mother make her way towards them, wrapping both her arms around her daughter and son, engulfing them in a tight hug to which they immediately hugged back. Heyward trailed behind his wife, patting JJ's shoulder who stood there all by himself before the man was wrapping his arms around his wife, daughter and son, the twins murmuring 'I'm sorry' to their father from what had happened earlier in the day.

"They didn't make it, Mom." Kie sobs as her mother held her face.

JJ continued to stand there all by himself, tears rolling down his cheeks as they fell from his blue eyes. The Heyward family slightly pulled apart as they turned to the blonde, Heyward holding out an arm for him. JJ stepped towards them before he was pulled into the hug with the family. Y/n, Pope and JJ all had their heads near one another as Y/n rested her forehead against one of JJ's shoulders, Pope doing the same with his other shoulder while JJ had his forehead rested on the girl's shoulder, all of them sobbing.

Soon enough, they were pulling away from one another as Pope turned himself around when feeling a hand on his shoulder, seeing Kie standing there, sobbing. The two wrapped their arms around one another, Kie sobbing against the Heyward boy's shoulder. Y/n turned to JJ, wrapping her arms around her best friend as she sobbed, feeling him shakily hug her back as they grieved to themselves.

John B Routledge and Sarah Cameron were gone.