29: their worst enemy.

TWENTY NINE

their worst enemy.

"Is someone gonna fess up or are y'all gonna keep hiding him?" Barry shouted.

The whole party had stopped.

And Barry wasn't alone. There were two huge thugs with him. He wasn't playing around.

He turned to Sarah, who stood speechless at the patio. "Yo, where's your brother?" Barry gesticulated wildly.

"You will leave this house right now," John B warned in a dark voice. Barry looked at his companions and laughed.

"My business ain't with y'all. I just wanna talk to country club."

"My brother isn't here," Sarah said, protecting Rafe. In that moment, Rafe stormed out of the house and walked threateningly up to Barry so they were standing chest to chest.

"Oh that's cute. You've got your little sister to protect you," Barry teased and smiled viciously, the fairy lights around the porch reflecting in his gold teeth. "So she forgave you huh?"

"Leave," Rafe demanded through gritted teeth.

"Yeah I don't think so," Barry said casually and started pacing, rubbing his chin with his hand. "You see... How come I'm in and out of the clink like a fucking jojo while you get to prance around in redemption, huh? How does that work?"

"I've changed," Rafe growled.

"You bet your ass you have. Big man CEO, big money. You got your sister back. Secret girlfriend..." Barry raised his eyebrows. Rafe let out an angry exhale through his nose. He had been spying on him this whole time.

Barry leaned in and whispered, "What you think her people'll say when they find out, huh?" He nodded to the Pogues and his sister.

"You shut your mouth," Rafe spat and grinded his teeth.

"Big talk, Country Club Killer," Barry patronised. Billie saw Rafe flinch at the nickname. He brushed it off and took a step closer. Suddenly, Barry's eyes flickered to the open glass doors and a grin spread across his face. Rafe raised his eyebrows and turned around. Billie and JJ had just stepped out onto the patio, watching them.

"I was gonna beat you up, so I brought my buddies here," Barry gesticulated towards his thugs. "But... I think I can fuck you up more if I just..." Barry's eyes flickered towards Billie, his mouth showing off a wide grin.

"Don't," Rafe warned. "It's not just me you're fucking over."

"You really think I give a shit, man?" Barry turned around and spread his arms, getting ready to make an announcement, as if he didn't already had everyone's attention. Rafe looked at Billie and in a desperate moment grabbed ahold of Barry's collar.

"Rafe don't," Billie yelled and stepped forward. "It's not worth it." Rafe halted, breathing heavily. The Pogues' heads all snapped to Billie. She tried not to flinch. She knew they were observing her every twitch, every blink of her eyes.

Meanwhile, Rafe's pause made it possible for Barry's thugs to grab ahold of him and shove him backwards.

"Yeah Rafe, all that progress," Barry patronised. "I can't believe it fooled her of all people. A Pogue and a Kook," Barry yelled out to his audience. Then he turned to Billie, taking two steps towards her. "You didn't actually think you could escape where you came from, did you, sweetheart? New York isn't another planet baby," he laughed, ridiculing her. Billie swallowed and looked scared at Rafe who was keeping his eyes peeled on Barry. If he takes one more step... he thought and exhaled sharply through his nose.