30: all my fault.

THIRTY

all my fault.

"JJ Maybank," John B told the officer in the booth.

"And Rafe Cameron," Sarah added after a sour glance in John B's direction.

Billie weighed on her heels while they waited. There had been no words. The police officers had just taken Rafe and JJ, no questions asked, thinking they were the trespassers John B had called about. Either way, it was probably a good way for them to cool down.

"Can I?" Billie gestured towards the holding cell down the hall and the officer nodded.

"I just need to get the paperwork done before I can let them out," he said and stood up with a sigh.

Billie walked down the yellow corridor until she reached the holding cell. On the other side of the metal bars, sat Rafe and JJ, next to each other, in complete silence. They were dirty from rolling on the ground, and JJ's shirt had been ripped at the collar. Billie didn't know if that was from the fight with Barry and his goons or from Rafe. She didn't care.

She sighed loudly with a hand on her hip as she looked at them, making their eyes flick up to her.

"They're sorting out the paperwork. Then we can go," she explained. No answer. Both men just looked down at the floor. Billie furrowed her brows in irritation. "Oh-kay," she breathed in and walked back into the lobby.

"What did they say?" Sarah asked while signing a paper and handing it back to the officer.

"Nothing, they won't talk to me," Billie sighed and then paused for a while. "I'm so sorry about your party," she said for the tenth time.

"So what? Now people will remember it," Sarah said, carefree, and Billie nodded. They'd never forget it, that's for sure.

"This is all my fault," Billie buried her face in her hands.

"Yes," her brother muttered.

"Shush you," Sarah interrupted. "It was just a weird night... A lot to take in," she nudged John B in the side.

"What do you want me to say Sarah? Yes. A lot to take in. A lot," John B said sourly and went to sit down. Billie gave Sarah an "I told you so"- look and Sarah sighed.

"Why are you so okay with this," John B exclaimed in Sarah's direction. "I know you want to forgive him but jeez..." Then John B's face changed. "You already knew, didn't you?"

"I'm sorry," Sarah said and sat down next to John B.

"Since when?"

"New York."

"New York?!" John B exclaimed loudly in shock. Then he turned to look at his sister and furrowed his brows. "It was the guy in the hallway. That was Rafe," he started to raise his voice. Billie nodded carefully as her brother breathed in angrily to start yelling at her.

In that moment, Rafe and JJ had come walking down the hallway into the lobby. They were so quiet that none of the friends noticed them before they were standing right in front of them.

"Wow," Sarah laughed. "You two look rough." It was her attempt to lighten the mood. It didn't work. The room was just bitter glances and exhaustion. Billie stood up first, heading for the door without a word.

They crammed into the car, and for some fucking unknowable reason, Billie, Rafe and JJ was seated in the backseat, with Billie in the middle.

"What a night, you guys. What. A. Night," Sarah sighed positively. Billie had to smile at her friend's will to bring them all together in the irony of it all. But no one else seemed particularly amused at the situation.