Chapter 10- I'll be there to pick up the pieces

"What is it?" John b ask through the tomb door as I look at the envelope that had To bird and butterfly scribbled on the front. I reach my hand out and give John b the envelope.

"That's not gold" Pope remarks.

"Who's bird and butterfly" Kie ask as JJ helps me out of the tomb.

"That's what our dad called us" I say as my feet land on the ground and I brush the dust and dirt off my shorts.

"Guys! Square groupers" JJ says as we see a golf cart with two men approach us.

"Go go" I yell as we all run to the side of the tomb.

"Lights" Kie yells. we all turn our lights off exept JJ who sturggles and ends up stuffing it under his shirt.

"Is it the same guys" Kie ask. JJ peaks his head around the corner before quickly turning back.

"Homies got a gun" JJ said finally getting his lights off.

"Screw this" Kie said running. We all followed her me and pope a little behind. JJ turned around and grabbed my hand pulling me with him. I jumped the fence JJ followed after me. We started running to the van.

"Guys my pants are stuck" Pope yelled from ontop of the fence. I don't know what was going through JJ's brain but he pulled out the gun.

"Hold still man" JJ said pointing the gun before John B ran and pushed his hand down wrestling him for the gun.

"JJ put the gun away" I shouted running over to help kie pull Pope down. Me and her ripped him off causing his pants to rip off. We all start laughing as Pope uses his hands to cover up.

"It's like a little tootsie roll" JJ says making us all laugh even harder as we hop into the van and drive off.

~

"That bread had mold on it 3 days ago" Pope yelled to JJ who was in the kitchen making a sandwich. John b and I were sitting at the kitchen table where Kie and Pope surrounded us.

"I'll just pick the bad pieces off, besides mold is a natural organism" JJ replied walking over and standing behind my chair. He took a bite before spitting it out in his hand and gagging.

"Not good huh?" I laughed at him. He threw the sandwich away and then moved back behind me

"Lets do this!" He said excited. John b looked to me before opening the package. He pulled out a map.

"X marks the spot" Pope said. I looked in the package and pulled out a tape recorder.

"What's that?" JJ asked looking at the object in my hands.

"It's a tape recorder stupid" I scoffed at him before looking up at him letting him know I was Joking. John b took the recorder out of my hands and clicked the button.

"Dear bird and butterfly" I heard dad's voice on the tape recorder. I let out a soft smile hearing his voice again. 

"I hate to say I told you but I told you. Bird you doubted your old man, and I suspect at this moment your filled with guilt and self loathing over our last fight, but, don't kill youself just yet kid I did expect to find the merchant either," I gasped. He did it, after all those years. We all look at eachother in shock as the tape recorder plays on. 

"You were right to call me out. I wasn't exactly father of the decade. What can I say kid I can smell the barn? Hopefully we are all listening to this you me and maddi  in our brand new sugar shack down in costa rica, but if you find this for less than optional reasons thats what the map is for. Here she is the wreck of the merchant. If something happens finish what I started. Go for the gold kid and take care of your sister." John b stands up and walks over to the doorway pressing his body up against it as he starts crying. Kie walks over and hugs him while I finish listening to the tape.