Chapter 26- What have we gotten ourselfs into?

Song-

Be honest

By; Forrest

Maddi's Pov-

After I calmed down for a bit everybody left. JJ didn't want to leave me but they needed to find John b. I go inside and start to clean up. My eyes felt heavy, so did my heart. I don't know what John b is capable of. He wouldn't hurt a fly but that look in his eyes scared me. I couldn't just sit around and worry so I decided to clean. Cleaning got boring fast so I decided to go outside instead. I walked down to the dock. The sun had already set so I just sat on the dock in the dark. After a few minutes I heard footsteps. John b walked down the dock and sat next to me. We didn't say anything. I looked over to see tear stains on his cheek similar to mine. I wrapped my arms around him. We sat and cried for a while. Not saying anything, just sitting there. We were the only family we had left. 

"Hey" I sniffled after a few minutes.

"Hey" John b said back.

"I'm going to miss him" Another tear rolled down my face.

"Me too" John b nodded. We sat for another minute before John b hopped up. "I'll be right back"

He ran into the house leaving me on the dock for a minute alone. I wipped the tears off of my cheek and looked out into the water. The moon reflected off the the water providing a small amount of light. John b walked out with a tray with a picture of dad, a candle and a match.

"Here" John b handed me the tray so I sat it in the water. He lit the match and used to to light the candle. We both pushed it off and watched it float away.

"Goodbye dad" We both said as it floated away into the water. I leaned my head on his shoulder as we stared out at the water. Even though I'm going to miss dad it felt good to get closure. I started to dose off when John b perked up.

"Sh*t" He said.

"What?" I asked taking my head off of his shoulder.

"We got to go" John B said standing up and then helping me up. We ran to the van and got in. John b drove to the Craine house.

"John b.. what are we doing here" I asked concerened.

"Ward knows about the gold" He looked at me seriously. I got out of the car as we both quickly hopped the fence. We both ran to the basement.

"How are you going to get down there?" I asked.

"Climb down" He said and with that he hopped in the well and climbed down. He crawled into a little room for a few minutes and then came back up. With no gold.

"No" I muttered.

"I'm sorry" John b looked down.

"No! Why, why does he have to take everything from us" I shout as more tear fall down my face. John b walked over and pulled me into a hug. I was angry. About the gold. About dad. I was angry at ward.

~

"So he got everything" Kie asks. We were all gathered around the dock minus Pope the next morning. I sat on the railing that JJ was leaned against. My legs dangeled over the edge. John b was laying on the ground looking up.

"Yep, the whole enchilada" John b sighs.

"d*mn I wan't some enchilada's now" I joke trying to lighten the mood. Kie glares at me and I just shrug. JJ grabs my hand and gives it a small squeeze.