Chapter 47- waking up alone

Song-

Sweater weather

By; the neighborhood

Just made a new cover for this book! Make sure to check it out and let me know how you like it 💕

Maddi's pov-

I woke up the next morning to no JJ. After last night we fell asleep  but when I woke up he was gone. My heart aches for him to be there but I knew it was going to take more than an apology to forgive me. I was going to have to work for forgiveness for a while. And that's exactly what I'll do.

I roll out of bed wrapping the sheet around my naked body. I lean down and grab an oversized t-shirt that one of the boys left here at one point. I drop the sheet and throw the shirt on before walking into the bathroom. My head feels like it might explode at any minute. I open the bathroom cabinet and take a pain killer before splashing some water on my face.

Once I'm done in the bathroom I walk into the living room where I see Pope and Kie on the pullout. They are both awake talking about who knows what. I plop in between them with a groan.

"Morning sunshine" Kie giggles as I lay my head on her shoulder.

"My head might explode" I complain. Pope pats my leg twice before standing up.

"That's what happens when you drink half a bottle of vodka" Pope deadpans with a smirk.

"Thanks Pope that's so helpful" I say sarcastically. He blows a kiss my way and I throw a pillow off the couch at his head. He goes into the kitchen and starts making breakfast while Kie and I stay on the pullout listening to some quiet music from her phone. The hangover is obviously hitting her too.

After a few minutes Anna and Topper come out of the other bedroom.

"Morning Anna" I smile and Kie waves.

"Morning" she says back sitting in one of the chairs across the room.

"You look like sh*t Top" I chuckle. He flips me off before grabbing the pillow on the ground that I previously threw at Pope and chucks it at my head.

"So do you" he retaliates. Pope comes out with a plate full of toast. We all grab a piece and eat it with some light music still in the background. We talk about last night and laugh at our drunk selfs.

"Where's JJ?" I ask mostly to Pope or Kie.

"He has work , left early this morning" Pope shrugs.

"Okay but when Maddi fell of off JJ's back" Anna giggles continuing with our conversation.

"Oh yeah the knot is horrible" I rub the back of my head and they all just laugh.

~

Two weeks have passed. The past two weeks have been pretty uneventful. JJ and I hook up on the random but every morning he isn't there when I wake up. Topper hates the idea of the friends with Benefits thing. He also hates how every morning I wake up and JJ isn't there I go back to the chateau more sad than the day before.

I keep saying it's just going to take time for him to trust me again but who knows. We've basically spent the past two weeks hanging with the rest of the pogues. Anna comes around often as well and we've gotten pretty close. Topper plans on asking her to be his girlfriend soon with help of me.

Today is like every other day. I just got off a shift at the wreck and now I'm starting my walk home. Topper usually picks me up but he's on a date tonight which means walking for me. During the walk home I zone out in my thoughts. That probably why I didn't hear a car pull up next to me or a car door slams shut but what I did hear was my name.

"Maddi routeledge" an all too familiar voice says. My heart drops into my stomach at the sound of the sickening voice. I try to convince myself I'm imaging it until I hear my name being called once again.

Rafe Cameron is what I see when I turn around. Right then and there I wanted to do three different things

1.) punch him straight in the face

2.) run away

3.) break down and cry

But I didn't do any of those things instead I stood there frozen. His smile made me want to empty all the contents of my stomach onto the pavement in front of me. The whole world stopped spinning as I faced the guy who was mostly responsible for John b's disappearance. The murderer of sherif Peterkin. The son of the the man who killed my dad was standing in front of me and I couldn't do anything.

My brain was running with a million thoughts. My heartbeat was loud in my ears. So loud I could've sworn that Rafe could hear it. He ruined my life. Because if him and his dad my dad won't be able to walk me down the isle. My kids won't get to meet their uncle John b. I won't be able to spend Christmas with my family. The reason that I won't be able to hug my twin brother again. My twin who was a part of me. My other half that's gone because of the stupid Cameron boys.

"Shouldn't you be in jail" I seethe crossing my arms over my chest. I want to break down I really do. But there is no way I'll give Rafe the satisfaction of seeing me break. No Way.

"Got out, lawyers got me a deal" his said very cocky the smirk on his face growing.

"What do you want" my body tenses as he takes a step closer to me.

"I just wanted to see the girl responsible for spending the last year in jail" anger flares in his eyes as he stands less than a foot away from me. I fight the urge to back up but instead hold my head a little higher.

"Wasn't that your fault? You know, when you murdered sheriff peterkin" I smirk but only for a second because once my words register in his pea size brain he lunges towards me wrapping a hand around my wrist.

"Don't you ever say those words again" I flinch at his anger lever but quickly regain composure.

"Why not they're true" I question peeling his hand away from my wrist. "And even daddy's money can't get you away from the guilt you'll feel every night knowing that you are the reason she's not on this earth anymore"

His face contorts into almost guilt for a moment before it quickly changes back into anger. His hands quickly meet my face as he slaps my cheek. I grab my cheek where his hand was just at. A red hand print already growing across my face.

"Listen here!" He seethes "you are the reason your brother is dead. If you kept your nosey little self out of my business then maybe he would still be here. So now you have to live with the guilt of that" he quickly storms off after his words getting into his car and driving off leaving me frozen in my place.

It was my fault?

Sorry for the short chapter I just thought it was the perfect ending spot for this chapter. The next one makes me so sad so be prepared!