17

JJ HAD BEEN ARRESTED.

Pope had told Kaden what happened, how he was the one who was going get locked up and how JJ took the fall for him. He would've gone to see him if he did not have work although he asked the others to keep him updated, there wasn't much he could do anyway.

When Kaden entered the Cameron's, his steps halted at the sight of a woman standing and talking to Ward. She was wearing a wine red suit, her heels making her look taller than Ward. Her hair was dark and tied in a pony tail, her long manicured nail clutched to the bag she was holding.

"Ah, Kaden." Ward noticed him, "there you are." At that, the woman turned around and pursed her lips as she stared at him while Ward continued to speak, "I wanted to introduce you to my new business partner."

Kaden held in a sigh as he walked towards the woman. He extended a hand forward, clenching his jaw— an action that didn't go unnoticed by her. "Nice to meet you."

"Likewise," the woman squeezed his hand as she shook it, "I'm Blaire Dawson."

"She came straight from New York," Ward informed, smiling as he stared at the two, "she's a very successful businesswoman. Both her and her husband. I'm sure you've heard of them."

"I'm sure he has," Blaire muttered, grinning at Kaden who shoved his hands in his pockets and sighed while she continued, "I'll be returning in a day. I just wanted to meet the man I'll be working with for once."

"That's great," Kaden's tone was dripping a certain amount of sarcasm that went unnoticed by Ward but not by Blaire who winked at him. He took a deep breath, "I'll be working if you need me."

"Of course," Ward waved a hand, "I've already put your files for today on your desk." Not bothering to say anything, he walked away.

Once he was in his office, he closed the door behind and shook his head, curses after curses leaving his mouth as he sat down and began going through the pile of files on the table.

It hadn't been over an hour when the door was slowly pushed open and Blaire entered, making sure to close it behind. Kaden looked up from his seat as he leaned back and stared at the woman. "Suits aren't your thing."

"Offices aren't your thing," she shot back, her eyes taking in her surroundings, "yet here you are."

"Desperate times," was all Kaden said. Blaire merely raised her brows, walking towards his desk and sat down in one of the chairs across.

"What are you doing here?" He questioned, staring at her carefully. "What game are you playing?"

"What game are you playing?" She asked back, crossing her legs before she laced her fingers together on her lap, "I'm here to work."

"Are you?" His brows quirked,
"if Blake sees you—"

"What would happen?" She interrupted, a sly smile playing at her lips, "I am his mother."

"Shut up," Kaden hissed, "just—" he glanced at the closed door then back at her, "don't. Not here."

"Yes, here and now." Blaire pressed, her tone serious, "I haven't seen either of you for years."

"I wonder why."

"Your grandfather had suggested that you needed some time away after what. . .  happened," she swallowed, "and then he took Blake as well. He said what your dad and I had going on wasn't healthy for you two. And it wasn't, we both agreed with that. Our relationship is messed up, but we— we love each other despite everything."

"I don't wanna hear your story," Kaden sighed, "I've got work to do, and you're putting everything at risk for me by being here right now so if you'd just..." He nodded towards the door behind her.

"I'm leaving tomorrow, Kaden." Blaire pursed her lips in a thin line, "I need to get some things straight. Also, you don't need this job. Why are you still here?"

"Maybe I'll tell you," Kaden mused, tilting his head to the side, "maybe I won't."

"Tell me," she demanded in a firm tone, "I have to know what you're up to. I intend to help."

"I don't need your help," he fired back, "I'm doing perfectly fine on my own."

"Please," was all she said, staring at him, "let me help. I'd like to be there for you and for Blake as well. I know I haven't been the best mother but I—"

"I can't do this right now." Kaden interrupted, "you and dad were too busy with yourselves to see what was happening behind your backs. You never gave a shit about me or Blake, like ever— and now you're suddenly here, eager to involve yourself in my business."

"I told you I regret not doing all that. I was going through some—"

"You found out. That's why you're here, aren't you?" He interrupted, a scoff getting past his lips as realisation hit him. Blaire was about to say something but he didn't let her. "Leave."

"It's a lot of money," Blaire swallowed, "too much for someone your age to be having. Just give—"

"No." He shot her a glare, "get out. He left it all to me for a reason and I have no intention in sharing it with you. Now, leave. Don't make me say it again."

"Fine, I'll leave." She stood up, "just tell me this, did Ward have something to do with your grandfather's death?"

"Yeah," Kaden pursed his lips, "he did."