32

"RAFE IS THROWING A party tonight," Ward said as he sorted through some papers.

Kaden leaned against the office table, his arms crossed as he stared at him. He couldn't help but clench and unclench his jaw, anger filling his veins as he stared at him.

Ward's greed made him killed Kaden's grandfather, Eric and tried to get him killed a couple of times. Still, he was such a good actor. He was the best father to his children— most of them, that is. He managed to get them to worship the grounds he'd walk on. Kaden hated that the most. As much as he didn't want to hurt Sarah or Wheezie by taking their dad away from them, he knew he had to. He had never wanted anything more than to avenge his grandfather, the only person who had been there for him every single time. And Ward took him away from him.

The word Revenge was being whispered in his head over and over again, tempting him to do it and get it over with right there, right then. He could easily pull out the blade he always kept with him and slit his throat. Ward was as defenseless as he could get at that moment. But it would be too easy of a death.

He wanted Ward to suffer. As insane as that sounded, he wanted him to plead for mercy. He wondered how he killed Eric. Was it a quick death? Or did he make him suffer?

"I've been wondering," Kaden knew he was walking on thin ice when he spoke those words, but he didn't bother stopping. He needed to know. "You ever heard of that lost gold shit?"

Ward's fingers stilled on the paper he was holding. Kaden noticed the way his breathing hitched. "Hm?" He turned to look at him, "what was that?"

"Something about a historic wreck or so I've heard," he toyed with his words, not wanting to really give anything away. He watched Ward's facial expressions closely.

"What about it?"

"Well," Kaden cleared his throat, keeping his expressions neutral and doing a good job at it unlike Ward who looked like he was going to be sick. "Rumors has it that it contains gold bars worth four hundred million— give or take." 

"It's just a stupid legend," Ward brushed it off, returning his attention to the papers. The act of dismissal said a lot to the eighteen year old. "That's all it ever was. There is no such thing as lost gold."

"But you're familiar with it," Kaden presses earning a loud long sigh from Ward. The latter nodded, "I've heard about it."

"And you think it's bullshit?"

"Yes," Ward spared him a glance, "why? Are you planning on going on a little treasure hunt with your friends, kid? Get a little rich? If so, then don't. Because there is no gold." He was growing agitated, Kaden could tell. "Your grandfather knew a lot about that. Didn't he tell you?" Ward immediately squeezed his eyes shut, biting his tongue in the process. The last bit was a slip— Kaden knew that. He didn't mean to say that.

He feigned confusion, "you knew my grandfather?"

"No— I— er—" Ward took a deep breath, exhaling, "briefly. We worked together once, weeks after you moved in. I suppose he didn't tell you."

"He didn't really talk to me about work." The lie rolled off his tongue as if it was just another truth. "So no, I don't know anything."

"That's a pity," Ward's tone was blank, "anyways, as I was saying, Rafe's throwing a party tonight so I'm taking Rose out to give the kids the house to themselves."

"Sounds nice." The subtle attempt to change the topic didn't go unnoticed by Kaden. He chose to not mention it and went along.

"So," Ward spoke up again, "there's not much work to do for today. You can finish it and go home or you can stay for the party. I'm sure you'd like to have some fun too, right?"

"Thank you for the invite but I'll pass," Kaden pushed himself off the table, "I'm not particularly fond of the idea of partying with a bunch of kooks. You know, being a pogue and all."

Ward stared at him for a couple of seconds. Kaden could see the internal debate going on in his mind in his eyes and he wondered what he was thinking so hard about. Then the old man finally gave him a nod, his lips pursed as he forced out the words, "I understand."

"Great."

Ward let out a chuckle. "Eric was just like you," his words had Kaden narrow his eyes at him. "Come again?"

"Your grandfather," Ward felt the need to clarify, "always eager to separate himself from us, rich people as if we made him sick."

Because you did. Kaden kept those thoughts to himself. Eric hated people like Ward; those who already had more than enough but were never satisfied.

"I've always thought it was the opposite."

"I can assure you, it's not." Ward said simply, "I have no problem with the needy. You're one of them, and you work for me, don't you? You think if I had a problem with you— if I was disgusted by you, I would've let you work here? Of course not, son."

"Well," Kaden shot him a fake sarcastic smile, one Ward couldn't catch, "aren't you just the nicest kook ever?"

"It's a tough world," Ward shrugged, "and you're a good kid; smart, hardworking and whatnot."

Kaden rolled his eyes at Ward's sentence. Yet you're still trying to get me killed, he thought.

"I better leave now," the older man spoke again, "I'll see you soon. Take care, bye." And then he walked out of the office, the door closing behind him.

Kaden let out a loud sigh, his hand going to his hair as he groaned in annoyance. Soon, he thought to himself, staring at the closed door, you'll be dead.

But first he had to make sure to stay away from a certain blonde because deep down, he knew he wouldn't be able to hurt her that much by taking her father away from her if he was to get close or attached to her. Sarah looked at Ward as if he was her entire world which was why Kaden had to keep her at a distance. For her own sake and for his.