44

"IS THAT WHY YOU MOVED here?" Sarah found herself asking after a moment of silence. She lifted a hand to wipe the tears that had fallen onto her cheeks while Kaden just sat there, his eyes fixed on the ground instead of looking at her.

Opening up wasn't his thing. He had never told this to anyone before— not even the pogues. Somehow, it felt easier to tell Sarah even though he's known them the longest.

"Yeah," he paused, letting out a shaky breath. "My grandfather couldn't take it anymore. I mean, he already hated the way my parents were. . . So, he left and took Blake and I with him."

Kaden had envisioned how this night would go and it certainly didn't involve him sitting on the ground, telling her about his traumatic past. He told her everything; how he was drugged in his own house by his one of his parents' friends. How she took advantage of him while he was too weak to fight her. How he woke up naked and felt disgusted and used the next morning. He remembered not being able to move, but only watch and weakly fight the woman off only to fail miserably. He didn't even know her name, he had never bothered to find out. He had taken one too many showers that day in an attempt to get rid of the filthy feeling.

His relationship with his parents was always bad. There were those rare days when his dad, Jason would suggest they all sit down and have dinner together. Kaden liked that, it was the closest to normal they'd ever gotten. But that didn't last either. Five minutes later, his parents would start arguing about the smallest things and it would often end with plates getting crashed and food being wasted.

He had told his grandfather about what happened to him. The latter then brought it up with his parents who sent the woman away instead of giving her what she deserved. They said they couldn't afford losing a business partner. That fueled Eric's anger which pushed him to take Kaden and Blake away from that house and those people. Their parents didn't stop him, realising that it was for the best.

Kaden didn't tell Sarah everything. He only told her about his parents and what happened— he left out any part that could've given the fact that he was wealthy away.

Instead of saying anything else, Sarah stood up and made her way towards him. Kaden watched as she sat down on the ground in front of him, her back to the bed and her body facing him. They were close, the space between the bed and the wall were small.

"I'm sorry you had to go through all that," she spoke softly as she took one of his hands in hers. "And thank you for telling me. If you ever need to rant or. . . curse the living shit out of that bitch— or even plan her murder, I'm here for you."

His lips twitched at her words, "how very nice of you. I'll make sure to give you a call if I ever need to." He wasn't used to opening up, he was starting to feel weird. He was desperate to change the subject.

Sarah feared he was starting to regret having said anything to her. As she looked at him, she could tell that he was uncomfortable. "Look, I just want you to know that you're not alone in this anymore, okay? I care about you. I always will." 

Despite all that, Kaden certainly felt lighter. He felt as if a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. He couldn't bring himself to care that Sarah was Ward's daughter anymore. All he knew was that she was right in front of him, listening to his story, offering her support and sharing his pain. He could deal with his Ward problem some other day.

"Come on," she suddenly said, not giving him the time to say anything to what she had said a minute ago. She stood up then extended a hand to him, "the ground can't be that comfortable. You've been sitting there for a while."

He grabbed her hand and stood up although he didn't need to. His eyes then fell on her TV and he raised his brows, "have you been practicing?"