33

AS KADEN DROVE HOME from the Cameron's, all he thought about was what he and Blake had planned for the night.

Usually, they'd sit and play until they were both tired and sleepy. It was the way they'd bond– it had been since practically forever.

He was preoccupying his mind, trying his best not to let it wander to Sarah or her existence or the kiss they shared although he wanted to do it again and so much more. He had never felt this attracted to someone before. Never in his wildest dream would he have ever thought he'd want her out of all the girls out there.

He almost hit the brakes too harsh when he finally neared his neighborhood. His breath got held up in his throat as his eyes caught sight of a thick plume of black smoke billowing into the sky.

His heart skipped a beat as he realized that the source of the smoke was his own house. The place he had called home for years was now engulfed in flames, its walls and roof transformed into an inferno of destruction.

"Blake," he whispered to himself, fear gripping his very being as he parked his Jeep haphazardly on the side of the road. "Shit," his body trembled with adrenaline while he rushed out of his vehicle.

The urgent need to save his little brother flooded his thoughts, overpowering any sense of self-preservation. Without hesitation, he sprinted towards the fiery spectacle that had replaced his sanctuary.

The heat was intense, licks of flame licking at his face as he approached the blazing entrance.

It's been a while since it's on fire, he thought, panicked. Nobody fucking noticed? Yet another thought. He didn't have time for those, so he quickly brushed them away. Blake was inside. He couldn't— would not lose him.

With a surge of determination, he kicked down the door, the sound of splintering wood drowned out by the crackling of the fire. Thick, acrid smoke filled his lungs, causing him to cough and gasp for precious breaths of clean air.

Undeterred, he pressed forward, his eyes stinging from the smoke but never losing sight of his mission. Each step was a battle against the roaring inferno, the hallway now a chaotic maelstrom of collapsing debris and sweltering heat. Through sheer force of will, Kaden navigated the treacherous obstacle course, his senses honed on one objective: finding his brother.

"Blake," he called out, only for more smoke to fill his lungs making him cough. He didn't receive an answer. He knew it in his bones that he was in there, somewhere.

Adrenaline coursing through his veins, Kaden burst into his brother's room. The sight that greeted him seared into his memory like the flames themselves. "Shit," he muttered as he covered his nose and mouth with the crook of his elbow.  Blake lay motionless on the floor, struggling for air amidst the thick, suffocating smoke. Panic welled up within Kaden's chest as he rushed to his brother's side, discarding all caution.

He dropped to his knees, his hands trembling as he reached out to his sibling. "I got you," he pulled his brother into his arms, hoping against hope that it wasn't too late although his heartbeat was extremely slow.

Kaden's eyes were red and stinging, tears were staring to form because of that. He couldn't get rid of them as they streamed down his face, mingling with the sweat and soot that adorned his features. He could feel the heat radiating from his brother's body, a stark reminder of how close they had come to tragedy.

He knew he couldn't carry him all the way to the door again, given the fact that he was certain flames had surrounded it by then. So, Kaden propelled himself toward the nearest window, its shattered glass offering a fleeting glimpse of safety. He knew time was running out, and he had to act swiftly. Through sheer instinct, he clutched his brother tighter, shielding him from the dangers that lurked just beyond their fragile sanctuary.

Using his free hand, he landed a punch in the glass, shattering it even more so he could get through. Then he climbed out, with his arms wrapped around Blake. He ignored the shards of glass biting into his flesh as he did so but ensured that none of them reached to his unconscious brother.

Once they were outside, Kaden placed him on the ground. He brushed Blake's hair away from his face, stared at his closed eyes. "Come on," he couldn't think properly. "Please," his mind was racing with the worst thoughts. "Don't do this to me right now—" he glanced at his burnt home, still being eaten by flames then back to his brother. "Fuck, Blake—"

"Kaden!" Sarah's shout cut him off making him turn his head abruptly to the sound of her voice. Her eyes widened with shock as she took in the chaotic scene. "Oh my god," she cried out, rushing to his side with Wheezie, "I saw– " she swallowed, "I saw the fire– I called for help."

Kaden silently thanked her. He couldn't bring himself to voice it out, he hadn't thought about that. He couldn't, not when all he could think about right then, was Blake.

He only gave her a nod, "He's not waking up," his voice choked with emotion, "I don't—"

Sarah gently placed her hand on Kaden's shoulder, offering him strength in her touch. Just then, loud sirens filled his ear. Fire trucks followed by an ambulance stopped right in front of his place.

Kaden paid no attention to the others as he picked Blake up again and carried him to the ambulance. He got in with him and he was not surprised when Wheezie and Sarah did too.

He hadn't spoken a word to anyone and only remained close to Blake as they sped towards the hospital. Sarah and Wheezie chose not to say anything either. The three only watched the paramedics did their best to stabilize Blake's condition. Kaden's gaze never left his brother's face.

"He'll be okay," Sarah felt the need to reassure him. It was the first time she saw him truly scared, and with tears in his eyes. She thought he wasn't capable of producing that for the time she'd known him. Her heart ached at the sight before her as she sat beside him.

"You don't know that," he muttered, not looking at her. He kept his eyes fixed on Blake, fearing that he looked away, he'd lose him. "What if he doesn't? What if I was too late?"

"Shut up," it was Wheezie who spoke up, her glasses in her hands as she wiped her tears furiously. "He's strong. Nothing's going to happen to him."

Kaden said nothing at that as Sarah's hand reached out to her sister's and she gave a squeeze as an attempt to comfort her knowing how close these two were. Kaden's mind was now preoccupied with only one question ; how did it happen.