06. 𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘦𝘯𝘷𝘺

author's note: this is a double update! read chapter five first!

Attending a kook party felt like a good idea when I was drunk on expensive red wine at Sarah's house, but now that I stand here at the beginning of the driveway up to the expansive house that's almost as big as Sarah's, I'm not sure that it was a good idea.

I hated lying to my friends, but if they knew I was here they'd hate it, and I don't want them thinking I'm a wannabe kook, I'm just prepared to give them a chance. That's what I did with Sarah and that couldn't have gone any better. I know the kooks will never be the people I call my closest friends, but surely it's better to try and tolerate them, especially now we're neighbours.

I'm also very conscious of my outfit, having opted for an outfit I'd wear to a party on the cut, with no desire to conform to the Abercrombie & Fitch typecast that exists on Figure Eight. I decided on a crochet mini skirt and a denim halter top, preferring a seventies esque style. If it were cooler I'd wear boots but instead I've kept it simple with a pair of white converse.

The blonde hair suits my style way more too, I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. My parents were surprised and slightly shocked, but when I proceeded to tell them that Sarah Cameron did it they were over the moon. I hope they're not expecting us to be invited to the Cameron residence for dinner, because that won't be happening anytime soon.

"Hey Sidney, what are you doing out here?" I look to my left to see Sarah accompanied by Topper, who I have nothing to say to until he apologises for what happened at the kegger.

"I was just plucking up the courage to go inside." I try to laugh off the awkwardness.

"Well we're here now so just come in with us, I'll introduce you to some friends," She insists, taking my hand and leading me up the driveway, "Your outfit is incredible by the way."

"Oh thank you, I just figured it was best to go with what I feel most comfortable in," I explain, taking more of a look at her outfit, a summer dress with the straps of her pink bikini poking through, "Yours is gorgeous too."

"Thank you, it's Topper's favourite." She gestures to her boyfriend as he walks beside us.

"Hi Topper." I nod tentatively.

"Hi Sidney," He smiles apathetically.

"Tops said he's very sorry about hitting you at the point." Sarah whispers to me, clearly not wanting to revisit the topic with Topper present.

"I'm glad." I nod, knowing it's best not to revisit the situation, as Topper will no doubt stubbornly object to being in the wrong. As we reach the house, the front door is closed, but the sound of music loud enough to suggest the party is very much alive.

"I think Kelce said to go round the back way." Topper tells us, leading the way around the side of the house, bringing a large pool and various crowds of people into view.

"Come on, I'll introduce you to the girls." She assures me, weaving us through the groups of people, Don't Stop The Music by Rihanna playing out of the large speakers on the balcony.

We get to a group of girls all wearing various mini dresses in similar pastel shades. They've all got that clean skin while wearing makeup, thing going on, and before any of them have spoken a word I already feel judged.

"Girls, this is Sidney," Sarah introduces me, "She's just moved to Figure Eight."

I appreciate that she didn't mention that I previously lived on the cut, because that's not a conversation I want to have right now, especially with strangers.