15. 𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘮 𝘣𝘦𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘮

I've not heard from Rafe since he left my house yesterday, I've texted him multiple times, but still nothing. I'm just thankful I've been able to distract myself with the company of my friends. If I weren't with JJ, Pope and Kiara I probably would have lost my mind panicking about every potential scenario of Rafe going to find Barry.

We've been up since sunrise, getting the gear ready to retrieve the gold, and it's the afternoon now, the heat of the sun proves it. Well it's mainly been Pope and Kiara preparing the kit, while JJ and I have been sitting on the edge of the hot tub, dangling our feet in the water. I've never been so grateful for time with my friends and for things to just feel normal again.

When we woke up this morning JJ kept reiterating how thankful he was that I was there for him last night, while I kept repeating my apologies for not telling him about Rafe. We silently concluded that it's probably best that I don't mention Rafe when I'm with them, or that I don't bring him with me when we're all hanging out.

"I still can't believe we found the gold," I nudge JJ.

"I can, I don't think John B was going to rest until he found it." JJ replies.

"Are you two going to help us?" Kiara asks as her and Pope work on the kit we'll be using to retrieve the gold.

"Probably not." I smirk.

"We're on emotional stress recovery," JJ adds.

"Does that pardon us for a joint?" I ask.

"I reckon so." JJ grins.

"John B's not here, and I don't fancy parenting you two when you're stoned out of your minds, so I'm overruling that." Pope tells us.

"John B pulling a Houdini, huh." JJ sighs.

"Where is he?" I ask.

"I don't know, but I've got my scholarship interview tomorrow, so we've got to get this done." Pope tells us.

"Speak of the devil," JJ calls out, pointing at John B as he walks up towards the house.

"Hey, John B." Kiara says, getting completely blanked by him as he heads inside the house, not looking at any of us.

"What was all that about?" I look at JJ as I climb out of the hot tub.

"I was about to ask the same question." JJ replies, climbing out of the hot tub as we all head up to the porch.

We head inside to see John B rummaging around in the dresser for something. He seems on edge and panicked, and he's not saying anything.

"You alright? What's up?" Pope asks.

"What are you looking for?" Kiara adds.

"John B, just talk to us for a minute." I mutter as he heads for the couch.

"Bro, what's going on?" JJ asks as John B sticks his hand down in between the cushions on the couch.

"John B, that's not going to solve anything." I mumble as I see him pull out the gun.

"Why do you need that?" JJ asks, approaching him, "Talk to us!"

John B says nothing, shoving JJ onto the couch. He's got fury in his eyes, fury that tells me something earth shattering has happened, and I just don't know what it could be to make him react like this when he's usually so level headed.

"We are not the enemy John B," I exclaim as he heads for the front door, "We're on your side!"

"This isn't you," Pope steps in front of him, only to get shoved into the dining table.